Outlook 2007 still does not support newsgroup?

Old September 4th 06, 11:30 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
xfile

Default Outlook 2007 still does not support newsgroup?

Hi,

I did some research on the net and is it true that Outlook 2007 still does
not support newsgroup?

With all the technologies available, why MS insists us to use two programs
for daily task?

Is it so hard for it to understand that many of us wish to use only one
program?

Old September 4th 06, 01:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
razor

Dnia Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:30:00 +0800, xfile napisał(a):

Hi,

I did some research on the net and is it true that Outlook 2007 still does
not support newsgroup?

With all the technologies available, why MS insists us to use two programs
for daily task?

Is it so hard for it to understand that many of us wish to use only one
program?

i think that even MS would add newsgroup reader to Outlook,
everybody would complain that it's not compliant with standards (ISOs, RFCs
etc.)
so, the feature would be useless

--
razor

Old September 4th 06, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

As long as Outlook remains the premier client for Microsoft Exchange, a
corporate mail and collaboration server, you will never see a newsreader in
Outlook. Corporations don't want their employees browsing news groups on
company time and, if they do, there are methods to add them via Exchange.

Just because you can't see the value of having 2 programs for news groups,
does not mean there is not a reason for this. Outlook Express comes with
Windows so anyone who has Windows has news groups. Office does not come
with Windows, is a value added program, and should never duplicate options
found in other programs, such as Outlook Express.

I continually wonder at people who want to add such a heavy overhead to a
program roundly accused of bloat and unnecessary features, yet still
complain when Outlook is slow to load or takes an inordinate amount of time
to perform any task, such as opening a new mail message. Do you really
think that adding all of the crap that comes with a news reader is going to
streamline Outlook and make it work faster, better, leaner?

Get real.

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, xfile asked:

Old September 5th 06, 08:19 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
xfile

Same here, and that's my main question.

"Yaacov Klapisch" wrote in message
I don't see what is wrong with the OLX newsgroup viewer. So why not have it
in OL?

Dnia Mon, 4 Sep 2006 18:30:00 +0800, xfile napisa?a):

Old September 5th 06, 08:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
xfile

Dear Royal MS Knight,

True, many companies - small and large, don't like employees to surf on
non-business-related sites on the business hours, and I fully vote for that.

Are you suggesting that this newsgroup and many for others MS products are
the "same" as porn sites or other non-business-related sites, and people
come here are "only" for their "personal" and "home" technical questions?

Just because you can't see the needs does not give you the rational thoughts
that business people don't need to use Outlook for reading newsgroup.

By the way, can you give a clear definition about "collaboration"? And what
kind of collaboration is allowed and being classified as "business purpose"
and what kinds are not?

Finally, speaking of overhead. BCM is truly an overheard and with almost no
integration with contacts. Do you really think adding newsgroup will
increase additional overhead to Outlook and why is it not for OE?

"Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]"
wrote in message
[...]

--?

Old September 5th 06, 08:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
xfile

By the way, before posting this question, I read at least a dozen articles
about the review of Outlook 2007, and at least half of them have the similar
question and wonder.

I guess you're the only smart guy who knows why it definitely should not be
added to Outlook.

Old September 5th 06, 09:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"xfile" wrote in message
Dear Royal MS Knight,

True, many companies - small and large, don't like employees to surf on
non-business-related sites on the business hours, and I fully vote for
that.

Are you suggesting that this newsgroup and many for others MS products are
the "same" as porn sites or other non-business-related sites, and people
come here are "only" for their "personal" and "home" technical questions?

Just because you can't see the needs does not give you the rational
thoughts that business people don't need to use Outlook for reading
newsgroup.

In a corporate environment, if there is the necessity for Usenet access,
then that can be done using Public Folders within Exchange - therefore no
need for a newsreading capability in Outlook itself.

Old September 5th 06, 10:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
xfile

Hi,

Thanks. So that is, Outlook is reserved for corporate environment with
Exchange Server.

And all other companies without Exchange Server are not within corporate
environment? And why not just bundle OL with Exchange Server and leave it
out from Office?

Old September 5th 06, 10:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

"xfile" wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks. So that is, Outlook is reserved for corporate environment with
Exchange Server.

No. But by far the VAST majority of Outlook installations ARE in a
corporate, exchange-server environment.

And all other companies without Exchange Server are not within corporate
environment? And why not just bundle OL with Exchange Server and leave it
out from Office?

You have outlook Express free with Windows. I just don't see what your gripe
is.