Why isn't OL2007 e-mail more like Google Mail?

Old June 24th 06, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
CJSnet

Default Why isn't OL2007 e-mail more like Google Mail?

I had a look at a friend's Google Mail Inbox the other day, and it's really
impressive.

E-mails are automatically grouped by conversation. Better still, when you
read one message, the others in the thread appear as popup tabs above and
below it, which you can enlarge or reduce with one click. It's truly cool.

(Outlook can't do this unless you create a special search folder, and then
that doesn't work very well.)

Then Google Mail automatically removes the rest of the thread which you
don't want cluttering the window and replaces it with 'Show quoted text',
just like Google Groups. Again truly cool.

(Outlook does nothing like this, and you have sometimes 100s of lines of
text below getting in the way. It doesn't even let you specify a maximum
number of lines to truncate the attached thread to when replying. Even
Windows Mobile lets you do that.)

I'm just surprised Outlook 2007 beta 2 doesn't offer more improvements by
way of e-mail. Surely we won't have to wait for Outlook 2011 before we seek
this? By then it'll be old news and everyone will be using Google Mail
instead! Not good for MS so hopefully they read this or someone can post
this in the beta group.

--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Try Google Quik-e-search™ at www.Superhighstreet.com/home
....Finds anything or they buy it for you!

[remove 'teeth' to e-mail me]

Old June 24th 06, 03:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Milly Staples - MVP Outlook

Because Google mail is web based and for anyone. Outlook is the client for
Exchange and will always have different behaviors. If you like Google mail,
fine, just don't expect anyone else, especially Microsoft to build a clone.
Why would they?

--
Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook]

reading.

After furious head scratching, CJSnet asked:

Old June 24th 06, 08:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
William Lefkovics [MVP]

You are kidding, right?

You do make a couple of good feature suggestions, but to compare the two is
not totally conclusive. They each have their own good qualities, and often
represent different markets.

But then, most of the people I know read their Google Mail with Outlook
because gmail's interface is intolerable, online only, and laced with
advertizing.

Now if you want to talk about Zimbra or Scalix, I'm all ears.

Old June 24th 06, 12:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
CJSnet

"William Lefkovics [MVP]"
wrote in message ...
You are kidding, right?

No, because the two feature suggestions I made are very good ones.

You do make a couple of good feature suggestions

Thanks, that's all I was trying to do. Next step is to get MS to recognise
them.

but to compare the two is
not totally conclusive. They each have their own good qualities, and
often
represent different markets.

No reason for MS not to include good features from one in the other though.

But then, most of the people I know read their Google Mail with Outlook
because gmail's interface is intolerable, online only, and laced with
advertizing.

Yes, I'm not suggesting MS change the entire interface to copy Google and
add adverts.

Now if you want to talk about Zimbra or Scalix, I'm all ears.

Well if they have the 2 features I suggest, then so am I!
--
Thanks,
CJSnet

Try Google Quik-e-searchT at www.Superhighstreet.com/home

Old June 24th 06, 12:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
CJSnet

Thanks Milly, but these aren't really "different behaviours", they are
enhancements to the way Outlook does things.

Outlook already has the Conversations view which is good, but doesn't work
very well. Use it in Inbox and you only see the incoming parts of the
conversation! That's not really a conversation is it.

The best feature of all would be for MS to simply add a detector to replace
all the quoted text below the latest e-mail, with a little drop-down button
like Google's "- Show quoted text -" option. This is a Godsend. Outlook
will look the same, still be a client for Exchange, but it's just what I
think is a really cool feature suggestion that will lead to a much cleaner,
clearer, less cluttered user experience.

That after all was one of the reasons they introduced the ribbon. Do you
have any influence is passing along this small feature request to make it to
Beta 3 of OL2007? If not I'm going to start a 'Show MS we want Show Quoted
Text' petition!

Old June 24th 06, 03:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi CJSNet,

Be sure to send your Office 2007 suggestions, comments and feedback on what you do like or what you find difficult to use directly
to the MS Office Product team by using the 2007 feedback tool from the link below.

The tool allows you to send screenshots and descriptions. Be sure to include information on what having a changed feature would
enable you to do better, faster, easier and if it's something you'd use daily, once in awhile, etc.

==============
"CJSnet" wrote in message ...
"William Lefkovics [MVP]"
wrote in message ...
You are kidding, right?

No, because the two feature suggestions I made are very good ones.

You do make a couple of good feature suggestions

Thanks, that's all I was trying to do. Next step is to get MS to recognise
them.

--
I hope this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office system products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends

LINKS for the 2007 Office System

1. Read about it, try it, or watch the movie
the 2007 Microsoft Office system iinfo is at
http://microsoft.com/office/preview

2. Already have 2007 Office System Beta 2?
Send Microsoft your feedback (with pictures)
http://sas.office.microsoft.com/

3. Use the 2007 OfficeOnline website without Office2007

a. Install the ActiveX access control
http://office.microsoft.com/search/r...XT101650581033
b. then visit http://officebeta.iponet.net

Old June 24th 06, 03:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Patrick Schmid

Outlook already has the Conversations view which is good, but doesn't
work
very well. Use it in Inbox and you only see the incoming parts of the
conversation! That's not really a conversation is it.

Quite frankly, Google's conversation view drives me crazy every time. It
always manages to show me an older part of the conversation instead of
the email I just got. It's rather useless in my opinion.

That after all was one of the reasons they introduced the ribbon. Do you
have any influence is passing along this small feature request to make it to
Beta 3 of OL2007? If not I'm going to start a 'Show MS we want Show Quoted
Text' petition!

Won't happen. Outlook 2007 is too far along already for MS to implement
any new features. All MS is going to do for the next beta release is
fixing bugs. New features will have to wait for the next version of
Outlook (#14, Office 13 is being skipped).

Patrick Schmid
--------------
http://pschmid.net

Old June 24th 06, 03:46 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Milly Staples - MVP Outlook

Use the Send a Smile options as Bob suggested. You can include screenshots
of what you are talking about but remember, some of these GUI items are
proprietary to third parties and may involve Microsoft having to license
them. That can be a huge stumbling block.

Old June 24th 06, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
Brian Vallelunga

Milly Staples - MVP Outlook wrote:
Use the Send a Smile options as Bob suggested. You can include screenshots
of what you are talking about but remember, some of these GUI items are
proprietary to third parties and may involve Microsoft having to license
them. That can be a huge stumbling block.

I too would love to see a more Google-esque conversation view and I have
sent it in as a smiley suggestion. It's not that Google has it perfect,
but that their conversation threading is better than Microsoft's. Having
sent items appear in the thread is a wonderful behavior and many others
have requested such a feature. While it can be made to sort of work,
having this be an out-of-the-box behavior would be great.

Brian
Old June 24th 06, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.outlook,microsoft.public.outlook.general
CJSnet

"Brian Vallelunga" wrote in message
Milly Staples - MVP Outlook wrote:
Use the Send a Smile options as Bob suggested. You can include
screenshots of what you are talking about but remember, some of these GUI
items are proprietary to third parties and may involve Microsoft having
to license them. That can be a huge stumbling block.

I too would love to see a more Google-esque conversation view and I have
sent it in as a smiley suggestion. It's not that Google has it perfect,
but that their conversation threading is better than Microsoft's. Having
sent items appear in the thread is a wonderful behavior and many others
have requested such a feature. While it can be made to sort of work,
having this be an out-of-the-box behavior would be great.

Brian

Yes this is exactly what I meant Brian. I am sending a smile from Google
Mail too.