Importing 2003 pst into 2007

Old June 14th 06, 10:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Default Importing 2003 pst into 2007

In ,
Stephen Wray typed:
I backed up my previous outlook before doing a clean install of Vista
& Office 2007 however Outlook will not import my file. Going to the
online help mentions a backup utility however this will only work
with XP or later but not 2007

Help (have too many saved e-mails with usernames & passwords)

Stephen Wray

Don't import. Open.

Old June 14th 06, 11:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Why are you importing? Open the file with File | Open | Outlook Data File.

The Personal Folders backup utility worked fine with Outlook 2007 when I tried it. See http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.msn...E3D8!114.entry if you need installation instructions.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old June 15th 06, 08:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephen Wray

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
Why are you importing? Open the file with File | Open | Outlook Data
File.

The Personal Folders backup utility worked fine with Outlook 2007
when I tried it. See
http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.msn...E3D8!114.entry
if you need installation instructions.

I've tried downloading the file again but it comes up with setup error
do not have Outlook 2000, 2002 or 2003 installed.

Also tried just opening the pst and just says that the pst cannot be opened.

Stephen

Old June 15th 06, 05:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephen Wray

Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
Sounds like you didn't follow the instructions that I posted at that URL.

Sorry,

I've re-read the instructions now I'm fully awake and downloaded a copy
of Winzip. Have managed to get the back up tool installed, unfortunately
it still doesn't like my previous archived pst with all my contact and
e-mails in it.

Regards
Stephen
Old June 15th 06, 05:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephen Wray

Stephen Wray wrote:
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:
Sounds like you didn't follow the instructions that I posted at that URL.

Sorry,

I've re-read the instructions now I'm fully awake and downloaded a copy
of Winzip. Have managed to get the back up tool installed, unfortunately
it still doesn't like my previous archived pst with all my contact and
e-mails in it.

Regards
Stephen

I've re-copied the file from my backup folder and it has imported ok
this time, (strange)

Thanks for your help

A relieved Stephen

Old June 15th 06, 07:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Stephen Wray wrote:

I've re-copied the file from my backup folder and it has imported ok
this time, (strange)

Never import from a PST. You lose information that way. Just open it in
Outlook with FileOpenOutlook Data File.
--
Brian Tillman

Old June 15th 06, 08:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Stephen Wray

Brian Tillman wrote:
Stephen Wray wrote:

I've re-copied the file from my backup folder and it has imported ok
this time, (strange)

Never import from a PST. You lose information that way. Just open it
in Outlook with FileOpenOutlook Data File.

Yes but if you're backing up your entire outlook before formating your
hard drive what option would you choose (bearing in mine I didn't know
about the backup tool mentioned earlier in the thread)

Stephen