Could not receive email, until user account was established

Old January 11th 06, 11:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
PeterM

Default Could not receive email, until user account was established

For the life of me, I tried to help a co-worker with his inability to
receive email via Outlook 2003 (no server POP3) Everything was checked and
rechecked several times. The test never worked. The error message was one
that stated we could not reach the server. As a final attempt, I went and
looked into control panel, user accounts, and the person name was not there,
but another person, that did not work for us anymore, was entered. Once I
deleted that other person, and I entered our employees name into the user
account, his mail worked right away. Does that sound like some rule that
needs to be done, have the person in the user group under user accounts?????
Please any comments are much appreciated......Peter

Old January 12th 06, 03:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard

"PeterM" wrote in message
. ..
For the life of me, I tried to help a co-worker with his inability to
receive email via Outlook 2003 (no server POP3) Everything was checked and
rechecked several times. The test never worked. The error message was one
that stated we could not reach the server. As a final attempt, I went and
looked into control panel, user accounts, and the person name was not
there, but another person, that did not work for us anymore, was entered.
Once I deleted that other person, and I entered our employees name into
the user account, his mail worked right away. Does that sound like some
rule that needs to be done, have the person in the user group under user
accounts????? Please any comments are much appreciated......Peter

Please explain just how this co-worker managed to login WITHOUT a user
account. If they cannot login, they also don't get to run any applications,
like Outlook.

--
_________________________________
** Post replies to the newsgroup.

Old January 12th 06, 03:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
PeterM

Thanks for your help Vanguard.....he used a regular domain login. The same
log-on he used before and after the change I made.....Peter

"Vanguard" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 12th 06, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard

"PeterM" wrote in message
Thanks for your help Vanguard.....he used a regular domain login. The same
log-on he used before and after the change I made.....Peter

"Vanguard" wrote in message
"PeterM" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

But you are mixing local and domain accounts. You mention that the user is
loggin on under a domain account. Yet this user has no local account (which
is valid). Then you mention about some other local user account (which this
user should not be able to use). Then you mention creating a local account
by the same *username* as the one they use when logging in under the domain.
SIDs are used to track accounts, not usernames. You can delete an account
and create a new one by the same name but the new one gets a different SID
(security ID).

The profile the user gets for a domain login will be separate than the
profile they get for a local login. So which login, local or domain, does
the user have problems with? "Once I deleted that other person, and I
entered our employees name into the user account, his mail worked right
away." Well, that sounds like you are talking about LOCAL accounts where
you now have the user logging in under someone else's old profile for a
local account which worked before and it still works, but this user's own
account doesn't work. Do you really care if the local accounts work or not
for e-mail? Wouldn't you be focused on getting their domain account
working?

--
_________________________________

Old January 12th 06, 04:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
PeterM

Wow Vanguard, this is a little tough for me to digest, English is not my
native language, and computer info is a little tough to understand. I will
try to give a half way intelligent answer to you tomorrow, this grandpa is
tired. I do appreciate you help a lot, I just hope that I can follow your
explanation.....Peter

"Vanguard" wrote in message
"PeterM" wrote in message
Thanks for your help Vanguard.....he used a regular domain login. The
same log-on he used before and after the change I made.....Peter

"Vanguard" wrote in message
. ..

Old January 12th 06, 08:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vanguard

"PeterM" wrote in message
Wow Vanguard, this is a little tough for me to digest, English is not my
native language, and computer info is a little tough to understand. I will
try to give a half way intelligent answer to you tomorrow, this grandpa is
tired. I do appreciate you help a lot, I just hope that I can follow your
explanation.....Peter

Okay, I'll try to simplify. I'm not a domain wizard, just a user with some
experience.

You can logon locally or you can logon to a domain. If you logon locally,
each account gets its own profile folder (%userprofile%). When you logon
under a domain, each account gets its own profile folder. So you could
logon locally as "johndoe" and logon later under a domain as "johndoe" but
those are seen as different accounts so each one would create or use a
different profile folder (I don't know how roaming profiles work).

--