Date column defaults

Old February 27th 06, 04:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jonathan Finney

Default Date column defaults

Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'. I'm not sure quite what this
means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK).

Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously change
each instance?

Can I change the default for new columns?

--
Jonathan Finney

Old February 27th 06, 06:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Jonathan Finney wrote:

Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'. I'm not sure quite what
this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK).

It means that Outlook decides the width of the field. The date format
display in the field is unrelated.

Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously
change each instance?

Do you want to change the width of the field (what "best fit" controls)? or
the format of the date displayed in the field? And in which view of what
folder should it be changed?
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 28th 06, 10:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Jonathan Finney

Hi Brian.

Thanks for the info.

If 'Best Fit' controls only the width and not the format, why is it in the
list with all the other formats? How do I use the this independently of the
format?

Automated width control is useful and I don't want to disable it, but I
don't like the default format for the column - It takes up too much room and
I don't need the day and the time, so using just a numeric date format looks
neater (putting the day before the upsets the alignment of the data in the
column) and I find it clearer and easier to use.

I'd like to change this format globally in all views, but there doesn't
appear to be any way to do this. I've already changed this in most views,
column by column. I just noticed that new folders appear to inherit these
properties from the parent folder, so I guess I needn't worry about new
folders. Are there other instances where Outlook will use a date column and
use the default?

--
Jonathan Finney

Old February 28th 06, 04:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Jonathan Finney wrote:

Outlook's default date column is 'Best Fit'. I'm not sure quite what
this means, but I prefer the more compact dd/mm/yyyy (UK).

I think the choices the drop-down presents may be tied to the Regional
Options you set in Windows Control Panel, but I'm not in a position to test
that.

Is there any way to change this globally or do I have to laboriously
change each instance?

You can modify the View and any folder using that view will change. See
this for the techniques: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/grouping.htm
--
Brian Tillman