How can set up a rule to I move emails from contacts in a given category... into a particular email folder?

Old April 27th 06, 11:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook
ship

Default How can set up a rule to I move emails from contacts in a given category... into a particular email folder?

Outlook2003

Hi

How do I set up a rule that moves all incoming emails from all the
contacts that I have put into a given category (e.g. "Friends") into a
particular email folder?

I can set up an Outlook2003 rule to move everyone that I have added on
to a given
mailing-list into a directory... BUT:

a) It's a once-off operation - i.e. The rule doesn't update itself
automatically when I add another user to that mailing list

b) And I cant even find a way of selecting an entire category and
pasting it into that mailing list!

- Can anyone help? It's driving me nuts

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old April 27th 06, 11:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook
Gordon

ship wrote:
Outlook2003

Hi

How do I set up a rule that moves all incoming emails from all the
contacts that I have put into a given category (e.g. "Friends") into a
particular email folder?

Go to Rules and Alerts-New Rule. Start from blank Rule. Two thirds from the
top is a parameter "assigned to category". try that.

Old April 27th 06, 01:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook
ship

Well that's the strange thing. It DOESNT work.
Does it work for you?

Ah I see now what the option does!
You can assign (manually) a "Category" to the individual email itself -
in which
case the email is then correctly filtered.

Hmmm ... so somehow we need to assign a contact's Category, to become
the individual eMail's category.

[ ASIDE:
Gads why is this so hard!?
Doesnt everyone need to do this sort of thing or am I missing
something...?! ]

Ship
Shiperton Henethe

Old April 27th 06, 11:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlook
ship

I have to say I really dont understand how "Categories" are supposed to
work on msOutlook(2003).

I mean
an email can have a category, and separately
a Contact can have a category, and separately
a "distribution list" of contacts can also have a Category!

But none of these categories seem to have anything to do with each
other.
A dont seem to be able to use the category of Contact to assign the
category of the email for example. Nor can I get the Category of the
Contact who sent me an email to be filtered in any given way.

Any suggestions?!

Ship
Shiperton Henethe