auto preview

Old April 12th 06, 07:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Norman

Default auto preview

I've made a mess when copying from added pst to default pst. Now get lots of
interface error messages. Would not download mail either.
Attempting to fix, unfortunately I didn't make copy of original default pst
first.
I am making some headway though by creating a new default and mail has
downloaded. Still have a ways to go as far as consolidating messages.

But I noticed something that doesn't seem right.
If I am working with view/current view/ messages or messages with auto
preview settings, and the view/auto preview button the behavior seems
abnormal.

Picking either of the first setting mentioned, then hitting the button will
put it in the opposite state. That is by doing this to both current view
settings,
messages setting will set to auto preview,
& messages w/ auto preview will set to without preview.
So picking either or moving back and forth between these two current view
setting will show the opposite expected result.

Now maybe everyone's behaves this way which will answer my first question
concerning something corrupted related to this.

It makes sense for the auto preview button to exist separately for some of
the other items on the current view menu. But it seems that for the two
items mentioned that the action would be chained between the button and the
menu choice.

Or is there some other explanation that I'm not seeing?

Norman

Old April 13th 06, 05:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nikki

Hi Norman,

Very interesting problem... I am going to suggest the following as a
possible solution to your VIEW problem:

Try using an outlook command-line switch called /CleanViews.
When you open outlook using a command-line switch it will
perform particular maintenance (depending on the switch) on
your Outlook program.

The /CleanViews switch will restore your default views.

WARNING: All custom views you created will be lost. It will
restore you back to the original Outlook views you had when
you first installed outlook.

To use switches, at the Start menu, Run command type:

Outlook /CleanViews

Occasionally you'll need to use the full path to Outlook, so the command
line looks like:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\Outlook.exe " /CleanViews

Note: Paths that include spaces between words must be enclosed in quotation
marks (") and are case sensitive.
You'll need the full path if you create desktop shortcuts.

I do not know what version of Outlook you are using so I will include
links to several versions. Just pick the one for your version of Outlook:

OL2003: Command-Line Switches by Microsoft Office Assistance:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/as...031101033.aspx

OL2002: Additional Command-Line Switches

OL2000: Additional Command-Line Switches
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3b197180

OL98: Additional Command-Line Switches
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us%3B182112

Please write back and let me know if this helped you. Or if I have confused
you, then I will try and clarify.

Nikki

Old April 14th 06, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Norman

In being careful to word so as not to confuse, I forgot to include version
info.
I am using 2K and some of the mail came from a pst of OL98.

Thanks for the switches. They reset the columns but did nothing relating to
views.
Under view/current view/define views I found a reset button. It is only
available if changes have been made to the view. When choosing reset for the
'messages' view, it also does something which seems a little confusing if
you don't remember what the default install was back when it was new. It
automatically turns on the preview pane. Pretty certain there have been a
lot of tips about having that turned off.

It might well be the reverse action is just a confusing feature.

I only realized its presence after trying to overcome error messages
relating to the interface.
I am currently reconstructing a new pst and carefully moving items from the
old. Without realizing it, my old pst, after moving some items from it
showed 1.8 GB. Also one folder was very near the maximum number of items.
And after moving some of the items, trying to compact seemed like it was
failing. It took only a few seconds prior to moving. And whether related to
'compact' or something with my video, trying to do something else during the
action made that box loose everything it was showing. It would give you the
impression that the action crashed. Later I discovered that it was taking
several hours to complete even though the amount of messages removed was not
that large. Also ran scanpst on the stores I'm working with. It reported
finding some errors and I did not need to fix but choose to do so. I did.

So far it appears I've beaten the flag raising event. Memory gets a bit
rusty and I'd appreciate any pointers you have for archiving mail. Not sure
of any master plan at this point. But being aware of not using export to
create a backup pst due to data loss, I have to wonder if anything similar
exists with auto archiving. To me, the process would seem very similar.

Thanks for the help,
Norman

Old April 16th 06, 07:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nikki

There is a limit on the size of the PST.

File Size: 2GB max (reads about 1.92GB in Explorer)

Large Table Support not Enabled (Default)
* 16,000 folders
* 16,000 items per folder

Large Table Support Enabled
* 65,000 folders
* 65,000 items per folder

Nikki

To enable Large Table support, right click on Personal Folders and select
properties. Select Advanced. Check the box to enable large table support
and select OK until you return to the main window.

Old April 16th 06, 07:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Nikki

I lost my connect before I could finish:

There is a tool that can help with problem OVERSIZED pst's.

To repair a 2gb PST:
http://www.slipstick.com/problems/repair2gbpst.htm

Norman, I would try to split your information into two PST's that
are not too big. I keep my pst's based on Year like a file cabinet.
However, you may want to keep them based on project, or customer,
or however you seem to catorgorize your information.

Nikki

Old April 17th 06, 03:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Norman

I was getting close on the maximum for the pst, but problem may have
actually evolved from breaking the items rule. Not sure if large tables was
on or off. Easy enough to go to large tables if needed or to break into
multiple folders which will be readily at hand in the list.
The pst limit gets a little more complicated, that is if I choose to have
multiple pst's and either load all, some, or as needed. Are there any known
down sides to working with multiple stores simultaneously?

Having some sort of server software to handle it seems like the best
solution, perhaps. Not sure I want to add more complexity or the problems of
using and learning it either. So far I've been able to avoid the pitfalls of
a total loss although it took a lot of time to reassemble some old archived
pst's and currently attempting to avoid some pitfall of an attempted backup.
When making the mistake of export/import pst, do you know specifically what
data is lost? Somehow, and I think it was doing just that, I lost received
times on a quantity of messages.

Thanks for the reminder on slipsticks tool. Now if I can only remember where
I put my reading glasses. Oh, I'm looking through them.

Norman