Can't open Outlook 2000.

Old April 6th 06, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Denzil Hathway

Default Can't open Outlook 2000.

I've run into a serious problem Suddenly I can't open Outlook 2000 on my
PC - I'm sending this from my newsreader Outlook Express on my laptop, where
Outlook 2000 is opening normally. What happens is that when I click on my
desktop icon shortcut I get the Outlook logo window after a big delay but
then it freezes. I go to Windows' Task Manager to find Outlook.exe in the
Processes list and end it there. It closes normally.

What I have done so far is:

Uninstall and reinstall Outlook 2000, twice.
Uninstall and reinstall Microsoft Office Pro 2000, twice.
Run an updated McAfee Virus scan, twice - which is negative.
Run a repair on Windows XP.

There are important e-mails being held in Outlook which I suppose I can
recover except I don't know where the .pst files are located. At the same
time, if I buy and install Outlook 2002 or 2003 is there any guarantee that
they'll install properly ... will they open and display my previous
correspondance anyway?

Any body know what's going on? I suppose the original copy of Outlook 2000
got corrupted but why can't I open a newly reinstalled copy? I struggle at
the best of times but this has me totally beat. Is there a helpful MVP
available? Regards, Denzil.

Old April 6th 06, 09:58 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]

Have you tried creating a fresh profile he Control Panel Mail applet?
You should be able to do a search on the drive checking in all folders
(including hidden) to find your PST(s).

Old April 6th 06, 10:05 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Christian Goeller

Denzil Hathway, you wrote on Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:40:39 -0700:

What happens is that when I click on my desktop icon shortcut I get
the Outlook logo window after a big delay but then it freezes. I go
to Windows' Task Manager to find Outlook.exe in the Processes list
and end it there. It closes normally.

Does Outlook start in safe mode?

Start | run | outlook.exe /safe

If so, an installed extension likely causes the problem. Then delete the
file "extend.dat" that you find in the (hidden) folder

C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Application
Datas\Microsoft\Outlook

Restart Outlook - the file will be recreated - and see if the problem is
solved.

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller
Old April 6th 06, 03:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Denzil Hathway

"Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]" wrote in message
[...]

================

Tried a new profile. No change. Found my .pst's Thanks for the comeback good
buddy. Denzil

Old April 6th 06, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Denzil Hathway

"Christian Goeller" wrote in message
Denzil Hathway, you wrote on Wed, 5 Apr 2006 18:40:39 -0700:

What happens is that when I click on my desktop icon shortcut I get
the Outlook logo window after a big delay but then it freezes. I go
to Windows' Task Manager to find Outlook.exe in the Processes list
and end it there. It closes normally.

Does Outlook start in safe mode?

Start | run | outlook.exe /safe

If so, an installed extension likely causes the problem. Then delete the
file "extend.dat" that you find in the (hidden) folder

C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\Application
Datas\Microsoft\Outlook

Restart Outlook - the file will be recreated - and see if the problem is
solved.

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller

===========

Christian, thanks for the reply. I deleted extend.dat. No effect. Denzil.

Old April 6th 06, 07:02 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Christian Goeller

Denzil Hathway, you wrote on Thu, 6 Apr 2006 07:51:37 -0700:

I deleted extend.dat. No effect. Denzil.

Did Outlook start correctly in safe mode?

--
Best Regards
Christian Goeller
Old May 2nd 06, 02:53 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Kate

Christian - I can't thank you enough for your tips that I've gotten through
Google - regarding errormessages, etc. in Outlook 2003 and Word 2003. You
are the best!
Kate