mapi cdo service

Old February 7th 06, 07:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

Default mapi cdo service

I s it possible to write service that could use mapi or cdo to send mails
without user logged on onto server?

thanks!
Old February 7th 06, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Depends on what you mean by "logged onto server"? What kind of server? If all you want to do is send messages, Extended MAPI and CDO 1.21 are not the best choices for API. CDO for Windows would be better.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old February 7th 06, 08:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:38:29 -0500, Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "logged onto server"? What kind of server? If all you want to do is send messages, Extended MAPI and CDO 1.21 are not the best choices for API. CDO for Windows would be better.

I have app that runs as a service. Nobody need to bee loged onto server.
This app has ability to generate mail using simple MAPI or CDO by
connecting to Outlook profile. App vendor say that if I want to use sending
mail by simple MAPI or CDO, that there must be user looged on server,
otherwise it would not work.
Old February 7th 06, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
[email protected]

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 14:38:29 -0500, Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] wrote:

Depends on what you mean by "logged onto server"? What kind of server? If all you want to do is send messages, Extended MAPI and CDO 1.21 are not the best choices for API. CDO for Windows would be better.

I mean interactive logon. I have app that runs as a service. Nobody need to
Old February 7th 06, 09:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

Actually, neither CDO 1.21 nor Simple MAPI is suitable for unattended operation involving sending messages through Outlook, because when run on a machine that has Outlook installed, they'll trigger security prompts. Your description confirms what I said earlier, that for your scenario, CDO for Windows (CDOSYS) would be the right API to use. Ask your vendor if that's an option.

If not, then you might need to remove Outlook and install some other mail program that can be accessed with Simple MAPI but doesn't have Outlook's security against malicious mailers. If you're working in an Exchange environment, installing Exchange System Manager should give you a version of CDO 1.21 that won't trigger prompts; see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171440/.

As for logging on, CDO 1.21 can use dynamic profile information; see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/195662/en-us. Another article, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306962/, provides a way to create a named, stored profile without installing Outlook.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old February 7th 06, 11:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

If you use client side CDO 1.21 (installed from the Office CD) you will get
security prompts. I would use server CDO 1.21 (installed when ESM is
installed) and use a mailbox profile logon that has permissions to SendAs
whatever email address you want to use.

There are samples of creating logons like that using CDO 1.21 at
www.cdolive.com/cdo5.htm.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old February 20th 06, 08:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Drx

On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 18:12:24 -0500, Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook] wrote:

If you use client side CDO 1.21 (installed from the Office CD) you will get
security prompts. I would use server CDO 1.21 (installed when ESM is
installed) and use a mailbox profile logon that has permissions to SendAs
whatever email address you want to use.

There are samples of creating logons like that using CDO 1.21 at
www.cdolive.com/cdo5.htm.

is there a way to tailor outlook 2003 security settings like it is
described in

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q263297/

for older versions? I ma currently using clickyes utility to handle Outlook
2003 security warning but is there any other way beside using CDO from
exchange system manager?
Old February 20th 06, 02:30 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]

See http://www.outlookcode.com/d/sec.htm for your options with regard to the "object model guard" security in Outlook 2000 SP2 and later versions.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

Old February 20th 06, 02:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Your options for avoiding the security prompts are listed at
http://www.outlookcode.com/d/sec.htm. I use Redemption code myself to avoid
the security prompts and to work with properties that aren't available in
the Outlook object model.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]