Final Notice for Hotmail-in-OE users!

« salutation | ? »

Old August 22nd 09, 05:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

Default Final Notice for Hotmail-in-OE users!

[crosspost to OE General & OE6 newsgroups]

This message is a follow-up to my post of 02 June 2009:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...a7d2d5b76b171a

Microsoft is changing the way Outlook Express users access Hotmail accounts.
This change will require all Hotmail-in-OE users to take action /before/
Tuesday, 01 September 2009.

If you use Outlook Express to access a Hotmail or MSN account, you will need
to set up a NEW MAIL ACCOUNT (OE: Tools | Accounts | Add | Mail) per the
instructions he

http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions...k-express.aspx

= NOTE: In Step #11 on the above page, select Port 587 in the Outgoing
mail (SMTP) box, not Port 25!

= After you've gotten the new (POP3) account set-up and working properly or
after 01 September, you should REMOVE (delete) your old (WebDAV) Hotmail
account he Tools | Accounts | Mail.

= When you access your Hotmail account via POP3, only the messages in your
inbox on the Hotmail web-page (http://mail.live.com) will download into OE.
Furthermore, these messages will download into OE's default Inbox and the
Hotmail-specific set of folders you're used to (cf.
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com...403shu01_C.gif)
will no longer be available.

Have more questions? See the FAQ page he
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions...questions.aspx

Need more help? Visit the Hotmail Community Forum:
http://windowslivehelp.com/community/47.aspx

Why is this happening? Outlook Express [uses] a legacy communications method
(known as the WebDAV protocol) to access Hotmail. Because the WebDAV
protocol is not optimally suited for programs to access large inboxes such
as Hotmail, new alternatives have been built. Last year, user-feedback led
MS to postpone plans to retire the WebDAV protocol until more options were
available. Now that these options (including POP3 access) are available, MS
is ready to retire the WebDAV protocol.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Old August 22nd 09, 07:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

There is a problem with your advice on the Hotmail Community Forum: "If
you're already accessing your Hotmail account in Windows Live Mail, you
don't need to do anything."
That statement is true only if you add a Hotmail account to WLM.
If you import the Hotmail settings from OE either by manually importing an
iaf file or having WLM import the settings during the WLM install, the
WebDav server url will be imported.
Tools, Accounts, highlight, Properties, Server tab, DeltaSync must be listed
as the server url.

If you setup Hotmail in WLM using http, the server will be
http://mail.services.live.com/DeltaS....0.0/sync.aspx . This will
continue to work after Sept 1.

If you imported from Outlook Express, the server was
http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp . That will have to been
changed to the DeltaSync server.

I am not registered on the Hotmail Community Forum site.
--
Ron Sommer
MVP-Mail

Old August 22nd 09, 08:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Gloria

I am new to all this, pls be patient if I don't word this properly. I
couldn't see how to contact hotmail so I found this page. I followed the
instr from the final notice, didn't see your advise here about not using 25,
so I don't know if I can change it to what you typed.
Also, I see, as you worded below, that it took ALL of my messages and put
them in the local folder and not in my hotmail folder, which you say can no
longer be available. I have two questions about that please:
(and I hope I can find my way back here to find your reply)
1) all of my emails (994) went into the local folder, which is a different
provider not hotmail. They all went in as unread, and how do I know which is
which since two different providers?

2) I also use OE at work. I sure don't want my personal emails going into
my work email folder.
Do you know how I can/if I can set it up so hotmail doesn't go into my local
folder???

thanks

Old August 22nd 09, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
PA Bear [MS MVP]

By default, all incoming messages will download into OE's default Inbox
folder. You can create & use a Message Rule to filter incoming Hotmail
messages to another folder you've created for this purpose. Such a rule
would read, "Where the TO line contains , Move it to [name
of folder], and Stop processing more rules."

Message Rules Tips
http://www.insideoe.com/tips/rules.htm

Why doesn't my rule work?
http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#rules

Once you've (a) created the new folder and then (b) created the rule, you
can apply the rule manually to your Inbox folder to move the Hotmail
messages to the new folder.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
www.banthecheck.com

Old August 22nd 09, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
...winston

Ron...to supplement your comments...any of the following may be in use in OE or migrated/imported from OE into WLM

WebDAV Servers to be retired in Sept 2009
http://oe.msn.msnmail.hotmail.com/cgi-bin/hmdata (used with Msn.com accounts)
http://services.msn.com/svcs/hotmail/httpmail.asp (used with Hotmail.com accounts0
http://oe.hotmail.com/secure/hmdata (old server, very rare pre 2002 account creation , used with Hotmail.com accounts)

--