Windows Live Mail

Old April 30th 09, 10:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
popov sinisa

Default Windows Live Mail

"g -rains" wrote in message
How can I disconnect Windows Live from my Outlook Express? I find it very
annoying when I try to send something and Windows Mail comes up.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Old April 30th 09, 03:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I showed you how to meke OE the default e-mail client.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

"g -rains" wrote in message
Bruce, thanks for answering.
I am running WindowsXP media edition. I don't know how Windows Live took
over my Hotmail. When I am at a web page and want to send it, I click on
File, send... and then Windows Live takes over instead of my default mail,
which is outlook express.
I want Outlook Express to handle such e-mailings.

"Bruce Hagen" wrote:

Please clarify.

Outlook Express is a part of XP and earlier Windows versions.

Windows Mail is a part of Windows Vista only.

Windows Live Mail is a substitute e-mail client that /you/ download and
install. (XP and Vista only).

With that in mind, what is your OS, what is happening, and what do you
want
to happen?
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old April 30th 09, 06:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
NormanM

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:19:01 -0700, g -rains wrote:

Thanks so much Norman, I finally have aoutlook Express back as default as per
your instructions. I didn't have to go through the bother of uninstalling
Windows Live Hotmail.

You can't "uninstall" Windows Live Hotmail; it is not an installable
application. Windows Live Hotmail is an online service. Windows Live Mail is
the client application. So states in the program list, and the startup
splash screen.

Windows Live Mail and MS Outlook Express have been happily co-existing on my
computer since the first beta version, when it was called, "Windows Live
Mail desktop". Just had to restore the MSOE shortcuts. I don't have either
MSOE, or WLM, as my system default mailer.

Point to keep in mind: Your active browser will invoke your default mailer
for those 'mailto:' links, and your active mailer will invoke your default
browser for URL links in email. In my case, any browser invokes Pegasus Mail
for 'mailto:', and any mailer (MSOE, WLM, Mozilla Thunderbird) invokes Opera
to display links. If that ever changes, first place to go is "Set Program
Access and Defaults", and make the appropriate changes. And, if an installed
application removes shortcut access, you will have to recreate those (as I
did for MSOE). Windows Live Mail also took over one file association, .eml.
I had to re-register the MSOE .dlls to restore those associations.

Again, thanks to Microsoft's less than stellar naming process, people often
confuse their products and online services.

Products:

MS Outlook (full featured PIM and mailer; part of the Office suite).
MS Outlook Express (light mailer and news client; part of MS Internet
Explorer 6, and earlier).
Windows Mail (replacement for MSOE in Windows Vista, only)
Windows Live Mail (replacement for MSOE; requires either Windows XP, or
Windows Vista).

Online Service:

Windows Live Hotmail (completely independent from any desktop application;
can be accessed using either an email client, or a web browser).

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come

Old April 30th 09, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
VanguardLH[_2_]

g -rains wrote:

How can I disconnect Windows Live from my Outlook Express? I find it very
annoying when I try to send something and Windows Mail comes up.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Windows Live
A suite of *services* of which one of them is e-mail (Live Hotmail).

Outlook Express
A local e-mail client. Dead as of 2002.

Windows Mail
A local e-mail client. Provided in Windows Vista. Replaces Outlook
Express.

Windows Live Mail [Desktop]
A local e-mail client. Provided separately as a program available from
Windows Live services (http://get.live.com). Replaces both Outlook
Express and Windows Mail. Desktop was removed from this product's title
(although still used in the name of the newsgroup for it).

If you don't want to use Windows Live [e-mail] services in Outlook
Express then do not define an e-mail account within Outlook Express that
connects to the Windows Live Hotmail service.

Windows Mail is the e-mail client provided in Windows Vista. Outlook
Express died off back in 2002. It has not been a supported Microsoft
product in a long time. Microsoft wasn't carrying forward an
unsupported e-mail client into their newer version of Windows (Vista).
Windows Mail is the replacement to Outlook Express on Windows Vista.
You cannot install Outlook Express on Vista. You now get to use Windows
Mail on your Windows Vista platform.

Outlook Express died in 2002. Its development group was disbanded in
2006. It is not supported. It works but is a dead product. As such,
it will not get carried forward into any version of Windows that was
released after it went dead. Windows Mail is the Outlook Express
replacement. Since you know Outlook Express, using Windows Mail should
be very easy to learn.

Outlook Express was bundled with Internet Explorer up to and including
version 6. It was debundled from Internet Explorer version 7 and up.
Since you mention Windows Mail showing up, then you are using Windows
Vista but neglected to mention that highly important fact. You are
posting in a newsgroup that discusses IE6 which did have OE6 bundled
with it so there would be assumption that you were using a pre-Vista
version of Windows which is not the case.

Old April 30th 09, 08:57 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear [MS MVP]

[major PBUAK issue here]

"NormanM" wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 21:19:01 -0700, g -rains wrote:

How can I disconnect Windows Live from my Outlook Express? I find it
very
annoying when I try to send something and Windows Mail comes up.
Any help will be appreciated, thanks.

I have heard of "Windows Live Mail", "Windows Live Messenger", "Windows
Live Essentials", and "Windows Live Hotmail". I surely do not know what
this "Windows Live" is that you speak of. Guessing it is "Windows Live
Mail", but guessing is dangerous.

Have you tried resetting MS Outlook Express as your default mailer? In
Windows XP MCE 2005, it is listed as "Set Program Access and Defaults" in
the "Start" menu. Try changing back to MSOE as the default mailer.