Address Book query

Old February 28th 09, 12:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Lindsay Graham

Default Address Book query

My colleague's computer blew up recently and the local computer shop rebuilt
her hard drive and reinstalled all programs. She uses OE6 and her problem
is that her new Address Book seems to have all the addresses (she has
several thousand) that were there previously, but the folders in which she
had the addresses previously have disappeared.

I searched her hard drive and found the original Address Book with the
folders. However, she has now added and updated etc many addresses in her
new Address Book. How can she combine both Address Books, so that the end
result is an Address Book with all the old folders and all the new
addresses?

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

Old February 28th 09, 03:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Open the new Address Book. File | Import | Address Book (wab) and point to
the old one. The import will add all the addresses from the old AB and leave
the addresses already there alone.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old March 1st 09, 02:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Lindsay Graham

Thank you, Bruce. However, I'm not sure that that will fix her problem.

Basically, she had an old Address Book (call it A) with many addresses in
folders. Her new Address Book (call it B) has all the same individual
addresses in it, with some additions and modifications, but no folders. She
wants to have all the addresses in B allocated to the folders in A. It
would be very difficult to manually recreate the folders from B in A,
because she does not have any other record of which addresses were put in
which folders. You have suggested an import from A to B -- this would not
add any new addresses, because B is more up-to-date than A, and I'm not sure
whether it would add the folders that exist in A.

If we do it the other way around (ie, import B into A), the folders are
already in B and I assume that new addresses would be added. However, would
addresses that have been modified in B be updated in A when the import from
B is done?

--
Lindsay Graham

Old March 1st 09, 02:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Addresses will not be modified. If you have an old address for someone and
it changed, you will end up with both. You can export B and import it to A
and then export the new A and import that into B, (phew, I think you can),
but that will only do addresses.

Courtesy of Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express

Create a "standalone" WAB file:
http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/wab.htm#wabexe

Then open your default address book to the group desired and select all
member of the group and copy them to the clipboard (Ctrl+A selects all,
Ctrl+C copies them to the clipboard). Then open your "standalone" WAB file
and paste the contacts into that file (you will have to hit the Enter key to
OK each entry but it beats typing) and then either copy that wab file to a
floppy disc or export it as CSV file. Otherwise, folders and groups neither
import, nor export.

Old March 1st 09, 11:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Lindsay Graham

Thanks again, Bruce. The pieces are slowly falling into place.

From what you have said below, I thought that folders could not be imported.
However, I just found an old empty .wab file on my wife's computer and
imported her current ABook into it, and all folders appear to have been
successfully imported.

To avoid possible problems with exporting/importing folders, however, I
propose to export B and import it to A. I presume that you then suggested
that we export the new A and import it into B so that the desired (updated)
ABook is in the default OE location -- is that correct? Given my experience
above, perhaps we should delete all the addresses in B before importing from
A, so that (hopefully) the folders will also be imported into B from A.
Otherwise, would it be safe (having backed up both files g) to move the
updated file A.wab so that it simply replaces B.wab in the OE default
location?

Thanks again for your help.

Old March 1st 09, 12:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ken

Hi,

Just a thought.

Make a copy of each address book file, then experiment with the copies.

Ken

Old March 1st 09, 02:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Really, whatever way works best. Regardless of how you do it, you will
probably end up with addresses you no longer need, but can easily delete
them.
--

Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Imperial Beach, CA

"Lindsay Graham" wrote in message
Thanks again, Bruce. The pieces are slowly falling into place.

From what you have said below, I thought that folders could not be
imported. However, I just found an old empty .wab file on my wife's