Scanning Email With An Anti-Virus Program

Old January 21st 09, 08:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Default Scanning Email With An Anti-Virus Program

People keep saying we must stop scanning email with an anti-virus program --
both incoming and outgoing.

I have been scanning my email with an anti-virus program for years --
currently Norton Internet Security.

No Problems At All With Outlook Express -- nor with Outlook.

And the programs doesn't run slower either.

NOW...

Why can't the folks who design and develop Windows Live Mail be smart enough
to design a program for us that has the same robust, flexible nature as OE?

Why have they designed a program that is so ruddy weak and fragile it can't
interact with a program that scans incoming and outgoing emails?

Because they are dumber and less technically competent than the Good Folks
who designed Outlook Express?
--
D. Spencer Hines
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Gary VanderMolen" wrote in message

Make sure your antivirus is not configured to scan email. See
http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tuto...ning/index.htm
--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

Old January 21st 09, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Michael Santovec

If anything, WLM is less likely to have problems with e-mail scanning
than OE. Its message store is much more robust than OE's.

And many people do use e-mail scanning without any problems.

But the issue boils down to 2 things.

#1) Anti-virus scanning of e-mail ON THE CLIENT during send/receive does
NOT provide any more security than the normal background anti-virus
scanning that occurs as files are opened.

#2) Anti-virus scanning of e-mail ON THE CLIENT during send/receive does
SOMETIMES cause problems. It may cause the Send/Receive to fail or it
may lead to corruption of the message store.

Taking 1 and 2 together leads to the conclusion that e-mail scanning
doesn't make any sense ON THE CLIENT during send/receive.

It does make a lot of sense ON THE MAIL SERVER where it works well.

"D. Spencer Hines" wrote in message
[...]

Old January 21st 09, 09:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Thank you kindly...

That's a succinct, intelligent answer.

Is anti-virus scanning of e-mail in fact done on ALL the MSN servers -- so
that doing it on the client is redundant?
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Michael Santovec" wrote in message

If anything, WLM is less likely to have problems with e-mail scanning than
OE. Its message store is much more robust than OE's.

And many people do use e-mail scanning without any problems.

But the issue boils down to 2 things.

Old January 21st 09, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

This involves Outlook how?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

[...]

Old January 21st 09, 09:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

The same messages -- both emails and newsgroup messages -- are scanned in
Outlook as in OE, WM and WLM.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"Diane Poremsky [MVP]" wrote in message

This involves Outlook how?

Old January 21st 09, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
K. Orland

That's a question I wouldn't want to answer on their behalf.

I also think another issue in the email scanning question/problem/discussion
is a direct result of so many users polling for mail far too frequently to
allow AV to adequately perform its task. Since the real time scanner would
catch whatever it's updated for, why scan email and risk send/receive
problems?

In addition, actively scanning incoming and outgoing email forces AV to act
as a proxy between the mail server and Outlook which adds another step into
the process. The more complicated you make something the more errors you are
likely to incur.

--
Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook
http://www.howto-outlook.com/

"D. Spencer Hines" wrote:

Thank you kindly...

That's a succinct, intelligent answer.

Is anti-virus scanning of e-mail in fact done on ALL the MSN servers -- so
that doing it on the client is redundant?
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas
Vires et Honor

"Michael Santovec" wrote in message

If anything, WLM is less likely to have problems with e-mail scanning than
OE. Its message store is much more robust than OE's.

And many people do use e-mail scanning without any problems.

But the issue boils down to 2 things.

Old January 21st 09, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
GbH

[...]

Those who provided it with a message store that falls over and corrupts
at the drop of a hat?

I would like to see OE with the WLM message store.

Once that's proven the other bells, whistles, titivation etc. may be
developed and added.
Oh unfortunately it'll need the spell check too because they broke it
with Occife 2007

--
Wisdom and experience come with age, they say, but I wish I could
remember the darn question

Old January 21st 09, 10:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Yes...

Good Points All.

But if MSN [or some other ISP] is NOT doing the scanning at the server --
because of some screw up by a careless technician on a weekend or holiday --
then I want to be doing it at the client.

And I never know when that technician is going to screw up...

So, better to scan all the time.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

news

#1) Anti-virus scanning of e-mail ON THE CLIENT during send/receive
does
NOT provide any more security than the normal background anti-virus
scanning that occurs as files are opened.

Old January 22nd 09, 12:08 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
D. Spencer Hines

Vide infra pro interscriptibus.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

"GbH" wrote in message

[...]

Nope... I've never had any problems with the OE Message Store. But then I
delete and compact frequently and always have. Many folks don't have the
Good Sense to do that.

I would like to see OE with the WLM message store.

YES...

EXCELLENT IDEA.

Once that's proven the other bells, whistles, titivation etc. may be
developed and added.

RIGHT!

Oh unfortunately it'll need the spell check too because they broke it with
Occife 2007

YES... OF COURSE.
--
DSH
Lux et Veritas et Libertas

Old January 22nd 09, 01:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.general,microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windows.live.mail.desktop
FromTheRafters

The redundancy is in the fact that the client's scanner that scans
the incoming e-mail is the same engine that would scan at the
filesystem level anyway. The only time such a feature would be
of use is against an exploit attacking a vulnerability in the e-mail
client itself (or any e-mail vector attack that doesn't use a 'file').

Anti-Virus walt Outlook Express 7 October 10th 07 04:42 PM
OE 6 Blank Email Messages with no anti-virus, temp files Rich F Outlook Express 16 May 22nd 07 06:34 PM
Sending images / disabling anti-virus scanning rmiller1985 Outlook Express 5 April 24th 06 05:29 PM
Anti-virus programmes j.thomas16(remove this ) @ntlworld.com Outlook Express 2 March 10th 06 06:20 AM
Norton Anti Virus Popup Message Vensia Outlook - General Queries 9 March 6th 06 06:14 PM