Norton Anti Virus Popup Message

Old February 23rd 06, 10:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vensia

Default Norton Anti Virus Popup Message

Dear all,

If the Outlook application is opened and my PC is connected to internet,
every minute there will be a popup message from NAV application. The message
contains warning about Netsky virus. I use NAV to scan my PC and there is
not any virus.
How to solve this annoying popup message ?
Thanks.

Vensia

Old February 23rd 06, 12:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland

What is the wording of the warning?
--
Kathleen Orland
Blessed are the cracked, for it is they who let in the light

Old February 24th 06, 07:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vensia

The wording is :
Norton Antivirus has detected a virus on your computer.
Object Name : c:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\CC107.tmp
Virus Name : W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc
Action Taken : Access to the file was denied.

I have also run FxNetsky.exe (from Norton) to scan the PC, but it didn't
find any virus.
Thanks.

Old February 24th 06, 07:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vensia

For additional information, if I'm browsing to web, but the Outlook
application is not running, the NAV popup message is not diplayed. Thanks.

Old February 24th 06, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Vensia wrote:

The wording is :
Norton Antivirus has detected a virus on your computer.
Object Name : c:\DOCUME~1\user\LOCALS~1\Temp\CC107.tmp
Virus Name : W32.Netsky.P@mm!enc
Action Taken : Access to the file was denied.

Empty your temporary files. Start Windows Explorer and in the Address
field, type

%temp%

then press Go. Click EditSelect All and press Delete.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 24th 06, 03:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
K. Orland

I am curious how long you've been getting this popup for? The Netsky.P virus
has been detectable by Norton since March 2004 but I'm sure you can't have
had the virus for that long. It must be something relatively recent.
Brian has given you excellent information to help you get your PC cleaned
up. You should follow his instructions to clean up. I would also recommend
that you use Trend Housecall which is an online virus scanner, to help you
determine whether or not you're clean once you've completed the steps Brian
advised. You can Google to find it.
Always make sure your PC is fully patched by turning on Automatic Updates or
visiting Microsoft's Windows Update site. Always make sure your antivirus is
updated regularly, waiting to do it once a week or longer is far too long to
wait. I have my home PC polling for updates hourly. If you have a firewall,
either 3rd party or the Windows Firewall, make sure it is on and functioning
properly.

Old February 28th 06, 08:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vensia

Following your guidance, I have deleted all the temporary files.
But the popup message still appears.
Using the virus scanner, I can't find any Netsky virus.
Why the warning message is related with Outlook connection ?

Old February 28th 06, 02:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Vensia wrote:

Following your guidance, I have deleted all the temporary files.
But the popup message still appears.
Using the virus scanner, I can't find any Netsky virus.
Why the warning message is related with Outlook connection ?

I can't think of a good scenario that would produce what you're seeing. Did
you notice if the file CC107.tmp actually existed in the Temp folder when
you went to delete the temp files? Did you run the on-line scan Ms. Orland
suggested? Another thing I'd try is booting into safe mode and then running
the scan with your NAV program.
--
Brian Tillman

Old March 6th 06, 04:10 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Vensia

I run in safe mode, scan using the newest NAV and netsky.exe, there is no
virus.
After I open the Outlook application, the warning message is still
appearing.
Why the virus warning has relation with Outlook application ?
How to use online scan ? Is it free ?
Should I install any java to run online scan ?
Thanks.

Old March 6th 06, 06:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Brian Tillman

Vensia wrote:

I run in safe mode, scan using the newest NAV and netsky.exe, there
is no virus.
After I open the Outlook application, the warning message is still
appearing.
Why the virus warning has relation with Outlook application ?

I don't know., other than perhaps it is in one of the files Outlook is
opening when it runs that is not ordinarily being scanned.

How to use online scan ? Is it free ?

Just click the botton on the web page. It is free.

Should I install any java to run online scan ?

I don't think that will be necessary.
--
Brian Tillman