Outlook Express on a Home Network

Old March 14th 06, 07:20 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Martin

Default Outlook Express on a Home Network

Hi!

Can anyone help me on this one.....?

I have two desktop PCs connected together in a wireless home network. Both
are running IE 6.0 under Windows XP Professional (which I believe are
totally up to date).

Is it possible for a user/identity combinatiion in OE to point to the same
data store from both PCs (I want people to see the same e-mails, newsgroups
when they log on to OE from either PC)? If so, can you please advise how?

My attempts so far seem to indicate that OE likes to have its data store on
any logical drive on a physical drive, but not across a network link (i.e.
on another physical drive) - but I could be doing the stuff wrong.....

Thanks for any help on this matter.....

Martin

Old March 14th 06, 08:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 11:20:26 -0800, Martin wrote:

Hi!

Can anyone help me on this one.....?

I have two desktop PCs connected together in a wireless home network. Both
are running IE 6.0 under Windows XP Professional (which I believe are
totally up to date).

Is it possible for a user/identity combinatiion in OE to point to the same
data store from both PCs (I want people to see the same e-mails, newsgroups
when they log on to OE from either PC)? If so, can you please advise how?

My attempts so far seem to indicate that OE likes to have its data store on
any logical drive on a physical drive, but not across a network link (i.e.
on another physical drive) - but I could be doing the stuff wrong.....

Thanks for any help on this matter.....

Martin

Don't try it. You _will_ lose email. The way to do what you want "on the
cheap" is to set MSOE on both computers to leave messages on the POP3
server, then set only one of the MSOE applications to automatically delete
messages from the server that are over seven days old (or so).

I do it with a local IMAP server. I use Mercury/32:

http://www.pmail.com/overviews/ovw_mercury.htm

I set up the "Mercury Distributing POP3 Client" to fetch all email from the
POP3 servers. This will be placed in a message store folder on the computer
running Mercury/32. Then I set up the "Mercury IMAP4 Server". Configure
MSOE on each computer with an IMAP email account, and use the computer
network name (or LAN IP address) as the IMAP server.

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old March 14th 06, 08:40 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
technology

hello martin my name is Joe or you call me techno!
if you have two pc try to connect them peer to peer and to see if both of
the account are valid, and if not make sure you both create the user name to
each other computer... try to ping them maybe an ip address are different

news

Old March 14th 06, 09:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE

"Martin" wrote in message
news
Hi!

Can anyone help me on this one.....?

I have two desktop PCs connected together in a wireless home network.
Both are running IE 6.0 under Windows XP Professional (which I
believe are totally up to date).

Is it possible for a user/identity combinatiion in OE to point to the
same data store from both PCs (I want people to see the same e-mails,
newsgroups when they log on to OE from either PC)? If so, can you
please advise how?

My attempts so far seem to indicate that OE likes to have its data
store on any logical drive on a physical drive, but not across a
network link (i.e. on another physical drive) - but I could be doing
the stuff wrong.....

Thanks for any help on this matter.....

Martin

These days most mail accounts can also be accessed by IMAP. you could try
setting up an OE account using the same user name, password and servers.

IMAP accounts keep messages on the server until you delete them.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old March 14th 06, 11:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:08:40 -0500, Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

Considering that AOL probably has the most users, I guess that would be
right. AOL mail, AIM Mail, and Netscape Mail all use IMAP. CompuServe 2000
may, but CompuServe Classic does not. MSN does not use IMAP. Nor does
Yahoo!, or such ISPs as AT&T (formerly SBC), Bellsouth, Comcast, and
Verizon.

So, out of that list of providers, "most" isn't quite accurate.