Passwords

Old April 9th 08, 08:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Default Passwords

I have just run software which analyses the hardware and software of a
computer. I was surprised to see passwords to ISPs and Outlook Express
accounts which, in use, are hidden by blobs. I already knew that it is very
easy to discover passwords to MS Office files. Access to passwords probably
goes much wider than this.

Let this be a lesson. You may not have a file containing all your passwords
for someone to steal your information. It is already on the computer just
waiting to be harvested, possibly remotely!

This strengthens the argument for removing and destroying the hard disk(s)
of any computer before disposing of unwanted computers.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

Old April 9th 08, 02:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
camerino

prova

Old April 10th 08, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
[email protected]

Hi,

After having tried various of methods without improvement, you can
have a try to use special utility to repair your Outlook Express dbx
file. I know one, called Advanced Outlook Express Repair.
Fortunately , It worked rather well for my corrupt Outlook Express dbx
files last time. I think it may be helpful to you. You can download it
from the following address .Its web address is http://www.datanumen.com/aoer/

Alan
Old April 10th 08, 03:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
PA Bear [MS MVP]

SPAM! [Link is to a utility to (supposedly) repair Outlook, not Outlook
Express.]
--
~PA Bear

Old April 11th 08, 02:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
Bruce Chambers

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
I have just run software which analyses the hardware and software of a
computer. I was surprised to see passwords to ISPs and Outlook Express
accounts which, in use, are hidden by blobs. I already knew that it is very
easy to discover passwords to MS Office files. Access to passwords probably
goes much wider than this.

This is news?

Let this be a lesson. You may not have a file containing all your passwords
for someone to steal your information. It is already on the computer just
waiting to be harvested, possibly remotely!

Not if one takes rudimentary precautions against unauthorized physical
access to the computer, and uses a properly configured firewall.

This strengthens the argument for removing and destroying the hard disk(s)
of any computer before disposing of unwanted computers.

How so? The two issues don't even strike me as remotely relevant.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

killed a great many philosophers.
~ Denis Diderot
Old April 11th 08, 03:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Bruce Chambers wrote, in response to my post -

Not if one takes rudimentary precautions against unauthorized physical
access to the computer, and uses a properly configured firewall. Good
point but I wouldn't put a list passwords etc on the hard disk. It only
needs one failure, one chink in the armour and it's gone. Remember that
Microsoft issues (with very few exceptions) critical and security patches
just once a month. Therefore, a security issue discovered just before the
patches are released will go unresolved for a month (and perhaps a few days
more).

How so? The two issues don't even strike me as remotely relevant. The
two issues are very much relevant! Remove and destroy a hard disk before
the (rest of) the computer is disposed of and sensitive isn't available to
who knows who.

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"Bruce Chambers" wrote in message
Bill Ridgeway wrote:
[...]

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
Russell

Old April 11th 08, 05:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
Bruce Chambers

Bill Ridgeway wrote:
Bruce Chambers wrote, in response to my post -

Not if one takes rudimentary precautions against unauthorized physical
access to the computer, and uses a properly configured firewall. Good
point but I wouldn't put a list passwords etc on the hard disk. It only
needs one failure, one chink in the armour and it's gone.

Storing one's passwords on a hardware device that might fail is not
without a small amount of risk, true. But it's no riskier that having
them on scrawled on a piece of paper hidden in a desk drawer on in one's
wallet, or on a thumb drive. However, you're mistakenly equating
hardware failure with a security compromise. The two are not
necessarily the same.

Remember that
Microsoft issues (with very few exceptions) critical and security patches
just once a month.

That's just not true. As one who claims to professionally support
computers, as implied by your signature, you're surely aware that
Microsoft issues Security Bulletins on a weekly basis to anyone who
cares to subscribe to the service. Granted, Microsoft Update propagates
routine patches on a monthly basis, primarily at the request of
corporate IT departments who need to test each patch before deploying
it, but critical security updates are pushed out when and as required,
regardless of the monthly schedule.

Therefore, a security issue discovered just before the
patches are released will go unresolved for a month (and perhaps a few days
more).

Again, not so. See above. Remember Blaster? The requisite patch was
made available via Windows Update weeks before the worm spread
throughout the world, but people hadn't bothered to install it, or turn
on their built-in firewalls. But this is one of the reasons one should
have a properly configured firewall in place: just in case such a should
occur. If nothing unauthorized can get to the computer, it can't
exploit a vulnerability.

How so? The two issues don't even strike me as remotely relevant. The
two issues are very much relevant! Remove and destroy a hard disk before
the (rest of) the computer is disposed of and sensitive isn't available to
who knows who.

True, but what's that got to do with the original topic? And, as has
been pointed out numerous times, no one (outside of movies and
television programs) has ever been able to conclusively demonstrate that
it's possible to recover any sort of data - sensitive or otherwise -
from a hard drive that's been thoroughly wiped, formatted, and then had
an OS and applications reinstalled.

It's all very well to be security-conscious, and to take all reasonable
precautions, but I do think you're pushing it to the point of paranoia.
A proper risk assessment will balance the severity of a vulnerability,
the likelihood of its being found and exploited, and the costs in money
and effort of averting/countering that risk.

Old April 19th 08, 06:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers
Guest

wrote in message
Hi,

After having tried various of methods without improvement, you can
have a try to use special utility to repair your Outlook Express dbx
file. I know one, called Advanced Outlook Express Repair.
Fortunately , It worked rather well for my corrupt Outlook Express dbx
files last time. I think it may be helpful to you. You can download it
from the following address .Its web address is
http://www.datanumen.com/aoer/

Alan

Passwords and Identities JJLNYC Outlook Express 3 August 6th 07 05:10 PM
Passwords don't work Rebekah Outlook Express 3 March 29th 07 06:56 PM
Passwords Dan X Outlook Express 1 December 26th 06 06:52 PM
outlook and passwords Felipe Outlook - Installation 3 October 31st 06 12:45 AM
Passwords - NOT the problem you think it is. Steve Foster Outlook - General Queries 0 June 6th 06 01:50 PM