Internet Security Warning....

Old January 25th 06, 05:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jeff

Default Internet Security Warning....

I use SSL and port 995 to connect to my web host's pop3 server. I was
getting a security warning that read:

----------------
The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could
not be verified.

A certificate chain processed, but terminated in a root certificate which is
not trusted by the trust provider.

Do you want to continue using this server? Y/N
-----------------

I asked my web hosting service for their sercurity cert so I could install
it. They sent it to me in text format, rather than as a .cer or .crt file.
I copied and pasted the text in to a .pem file and successfully imported
that in to IE6.

Now the first time I check that mailbox in OE6 I get a slightly different
error:

-------------
The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could
not be verified.

The certificate's CN name does not match the passed value.

Do you want to continue using this server? Y/N
--------------

Is there some way I can tell IE/OE to just trust this server/certficate?

tia

Old March 24th 06, 08:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
nokomis

I am replying to this, hoping to get someone to address this question - as I
am having the same problem... :-)

Old March 29th 06, 08:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

As a "workaround," what you can try is take the server's FQDN name
which you are using, but which doesn't match the certificate's name,
and place it in your hosts file.

Example:
Suppose the server's certificate is for mail.isp.net
but you have to enter mail.isp.com in your client program's
configuration (a mismatch)
Then use your ping utility to ping mail.isp.net and get the ip (e.g.
192.168.123.234) so you can insert into your hosts file.

Then, in this example, add this mapping to your hosts file:

192.168.123.234 mail.isp.com

If you are using Windows XP, then your hosts file is in
c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc. Make sure you are an administrator of
your PC and use Wordpad (not notepad) to edit this file.

Let us know if this works.

Cheers!

- Brian