Any solution for maximum file size of the .dbx files

Old January 19th 06, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jason

Default Any solution for maximum file size of the .dbx files

I checked the size of outloook express which stored over 1.8GB already. Also
know 2GB is the limit.
How can I set more or any suggestion??

Many thanks

Jason

Old January 19th 06, 04:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

The size for each folder is supposed to be 2GB, but you will lose messages
long before you reach that size. Create new user created local folders.

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupted. Create your own user defined folders for storing mail and move
your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder regularly. Keep user created
folders under 100MB, and Default folders as empty as is feasible.

After you are done, follow up by compacting your folders manually while
working *offline* and do it often.

Click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree so no
folders are open. Then: FileWork Offline (or double click Working Online in
the Status Bar). FileFolderCompact all folders. Don't touch anything until
the compacting is completed.

In ToolsOptionsMaintenance: Uncheck Compact messages in background and
leave it unchecked. {N/A if running XP/SP2}.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old January 19th 06, 05:54 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jason

Create new user created local folders, is mean make the switch in Outlook
Express?
I have tried to do it earlier, a new identify folder appeared on the local
setting.
Will it be count the 2GB limit from the beginning?
Or make a new user account for XP?

Is only one way to do that, no other solution for help?

By the way, I heard someone create a few Outlook Express Icons for keeps the
different mail from outside.
Possible or not ?

Thank you for your help

Old January 19th 06, 06:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

The suggested limit is 100MB for each folder in OE, not all the folders
total.

Click on Local folders and create new ones. If you want to sort by date,
think of 1-01-05 for the first and 1-07-05 for the next one, (just an idea),
and drag messages to them.

You can create a new identity if you want for the sole purpose of archiving.
These folders should not exceed 100MB either.

I have no idea what you mean by this:

"By the way, I heard someone create a few Outlook Express Icons for keeps
the different mail from outside. Possible or not ?"

Perhaps they meant new identities.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old January 19th 06, 07:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jason

How to make a new identity, is it a switch ?
If a switch, I done it before. Is the 2GB limits just only effect to main
identity or not?
Example, keep the main identity about 1GB for view message. Then create the
other identity for future use.
Possible or not ??

I understood the way of create folder is good. But I want a more convenient
find out the old messgae.

Sorry for my so many question

B.Regards

Old January 19th 06, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

The 2GB limit is for each folder in any identity, but as I said, you will
have problems long before you reach that size. This is why we suggest
keeping each folder 100MB or less. How many folders you have is of no
immediate consequence.

To create a new identity, File | Identity | Add New | Identity. Use this one
for archiving old messages.

You can also archive messages to a readable CD and rid the machine of them
all together.

Create a folder on your Desktop, then in Outlook Express open the folder
with the messages you want to save. Highlight one message, then Ctrl+A will
highlight them all, (or hold the Ctrl button down while you select only the
messages you want), Now, drag and drop them to the folder on your Desktop.
(Easiest if the folder shortcut is on the Taskbar).

Now you can copy that folder to a CD and you will be able to read the
messages on the CD by double-clicking on them.

The downside of this is that messages that have the same subject will be
overwritten. To avoid this, purchase:

DBXtract:
http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx

Please read this for more information.

About File Corruption:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/...orruption.mspx
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old January 20th 06, 07:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jason

Thanks for your help!!!

By the way, I will try to create a new identity for archiving old message.
Then the main identity for new mail, may I create two Outlook Express Icons
on Desktop. What I need to do ?

Old January 20th 06, 08:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Creating a new identity, whether in your current User Profile or in another
one, will not add another OE icon to your desktop nor would you need two of
them.
--
~PA Bear

Old January 20th 06, 10:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

You can create a shortcut for Main and Archive Identities.
http://www.insideoe.com/tips/forceid.htm
--
Ron Sommer

Old January 20th 06, 11:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

First thing you should do is backup the files. If you are using an Asian
version of windows and lose your messages, you will never get them back.

steve

dbx files Aftermath Outlook Express 1 January 16th 06 03:45 AM
DBX Files - Automation Dave Outlook Express 4 January 15th 06 05:35 PM
DBX Files Dave Outlook Express 4 January 13th 06 11:39 PM
Sent Items.dbx size Spot Outlook Express 9 January 12th 06 06:00 PM
How do I remove old messages in OE and reduce size of dbx files Norm Outlook Express 1 January 9th 06 04:01 PM