Error 0x800CCC0F while sending on non-SMTP port

Old November 23rd 07, 04:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Radovan Vojtek

Default Error 0x800CCC0F while sending on non-SMTP port

Hi all,

I've strange problem with OE6. On our Exchange 2003 I've created additional
Virtual SMTP server with TLS and authentication enforced on port 465. In
Olk2007 I can send emails w/o problems.

However, when I try to send an email, OE6 show error 0x800CCC0F (Server has
unexpectedly terminated the connection).

More - when I move the new smtp server to another IP address on the standard
smtp port (25), OE6 sends the email w/o any problems.

There is no personal FW nor AV scanning the SMTP traffic.

Is there any way to make this work?

--
R.V.
Old November 23rd 07, 08:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Troubleshooting error messages that you receive when you are using OL and OE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/813514
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old November 24th 07, 12:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.exchange.admin
John Fullbright

800ccc0f basically means connection dropped. check your firewall settings

"N. Miller" wrote in message
On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 08:01:02 -0800, Radovan Vojtek wrote:

Hi all,

I've strange problem with OE6. On our Exchange 2003 I've created
additional
Virtual SMTP server with TLS and authentication enforced on port 465. In
Olk2007 I can send emails w/o problems.

However, when I try to send an email, OE6 show error 0x800CCC0F (Server
has
unexpectedly terminated the connection).

More - when I move the new smtp server to another IP address on the
standard
smtp port (25), OE6 sends the email w/o any problems.

There is no personal FW nor AV scanning the SMTP traffic.

Is there any way to make this work?

Firstly, there is no such thing as a "non-SMTP" port; SMTP works on *any*
port you pick. There *is* a "Mail Transfer" port (port 25) universally
used
by all domain gateway mail servers (per RFC 2821), and there *is* a
"Message
Submission" port (port 587) not so universally used by E-mail Service
Providers.

Port 465 is not written up in an RFC (AFAIK), but it is more universally
used for secure SMTP message submission.

I believe that, for SSL to even work, you need security certificates in
place both on the Exchange server, and the clients connecting to the
Exchange server. You did not mention whether you have them, or how they
are
set up.

Finally, this is pretty much an Exchange configuration issue, nearly as I
can tell, so I am cross posting this to 'microsoft.public.exchange.admin'
in
case there is a better answer there.

--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,

Old November 24th 07, 10:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.exchange.admin
Radovan Vojtek

Hi,

thaks for your post. I know the appropriate RFCs.

Indeed, I have configured the Exchange with proper SSL certificate enroled
by our domain Enterprise CA. I've just wrote that Outlook 2007 works fine
even if the port is 465. However, OE6 works only if the port is 25...

I'm trying this on the LAN, so there is no firewall nor AV scanning the SMTP
traffic.

--
R.V.

Old November 24th 07, 11:09 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Radovan Vojtek

Hi,

thans for link to MSKB, however I've already read this and it's not helpful
for me

--
R.V.

Old November 24th 07, 07:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.exchange.admin
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]

Hi,

There's a bug with Outlook Express where it only works on port 25 when you
use SMTP over TLS. It's a bug I made aware to Microsoft last year. But they
are not interested so far in resolving it.

I believe a kb is available for it.

Oliver

Old November 25th 07, 10:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.exchange.admin
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]

I say SMTP over TLS as that is exactly what is supported for SMTP with
Exchange.

Port 465 is really defunkt now, and the Submission port 587 is what most
people now use when securing SMTP.

If the poster wants to get over his OE issue with port 25, he either has to
keep 25 open, or use a different mailer.

Oliver

Old November 25th 07, 10:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.exchange.admin
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]

Further,

Here is the TLS setup kb for Exchange Server:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829721

Here is the OE port bug and apparently a hotfix for it:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933612/en-us

Oliver

Old November 25th 07, 01:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.exchange.admin
Oliver Moazzezi [MVP]

Considering that I have no trouble using MS Outlook Express with:

smtp.gmail.com:465 w/SSL
smtp.myrealbox.com:465 w/SSL
smtp.att.yahoo.com:465 w/SSL
smtp.mail.yahoo.com:465 w/SSL
smtp.mail.yahoo.com.au:465 w/SSL
smtp.mail.yahoo.co.jp:465 w/SSL

...I suspect that he just needs to find out why MSOE access to Exchange,
using port 465 w/SSL is hosed.

You more than likely have the fix, I will say it once more time, this is a
_bug_ with OE. I have experienced the same issue.

Exchange by default uses Port 587 for TLS/SSL for SMTP, we are not
interested here for the poster what Google or Yahoo mail use on their non
Exchange systems.

Take care,

Oliver

Old November 25th 07, 04:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress,microsoft.public.exchange.admin
PA Bear

If the WinXP machine is fully patched at Windows Update, 933612 isn't
needed.
--
DTS-L.ORG http://66.39.69.143/