Problem opening .png in an OE NNTP newsgroup

Old January 16th 06, 05:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Chad Harris

Default Problem opening .png in an OE NNTP newsgroup

I'm on an XPP SP2 box. I have no problem opening .pngs stored in My Pics or
anywhere else on my HD, and I have Paint or any other image program
associated with it, and any of them work fine. Someone posted a .png on one
of these groups, and when I try to open it, I get a box telling me to
associate the proper program with it using the folder dialogue box. The
proper program is associated with .png, so I don't understand what would be
the difference if it is a .png in an OE newsgroup message or what else I can
do since the .pngs in My Pics open fine.

Tia for any help.

Chad Harris

Old January 16th 06, 10:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Chad Harris

Default Problem opening .png Was that answer?

Were you trying to post an answer?

Chad Harris
_________________

"Chad Harris"

Old January 16th 06, 11:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Noel Paton

Suspect malware!! - do you have viewing of extensions enabled? - if not, and
you can see the .png extension for this file, then it's almost certainly a
Trojan.
If you do have viewing of extensions enabled, then it may be that the file
is either mis-named, or corrupted. Check that the filename doesn't have a
space character after the .png, first - then rename the file completely
(together with the extension) and see if that helps

--
Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2006, Windows)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
http://www.crashfixpc.com/millsrpch.htm

http://tinyurl.com/6oztj

Old January 16th 06, 04:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Chad Harris

I think it may be corrupted, but those were all good ideas, including the
renaming.

Thanks much Noel,

Chad

Old January 16th 06, 09:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

With SP2, when you open an attachment within OE, it uses the OPEN action
of the Windows File Associations, Some applications don't create an
OPEN action. They might have an action such as SHOW or DISPLAY or EDIT
and set that as the default which is what gets used when you double
click a file from the Windows File Explorer.

What you can do is create an OPEN action for PNG files and copy the
settings from whatever is the default action.

See the Identifying Attachment File Types and Setting File Associations
section of
Decoding Internet Attachments - A Tutorial
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_san...e.htm#identify