Outlook Express Newsgroup Error 480

« tes | Address Book »

Old October 3rd 07, 06:33 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default Outlook Express Newsgroup Error 480

I have been using my computer and Outlook Express without any problems. Then
for some reason I cannot access my newsgroups. I have read several threads
and tried what was discussed. No luck.
I have called my ISP and they said I have everything set up correctly. I can
send and receive email. I am not supposed to have to have to use my user name
and password to access newsgroups. I get the same error if use my user name
and password or not. Code 480.
Old October 3rd 07, 11:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

If you aren't supposed to use a newsgroup logon, then in Tools,
Accounts, News, Properties, Server uncheck the box that says this server
requires me to logon.

If that doesn't help, you may want to create an NNTP log which will show
more details about the communications between Outlook Express and your
news server. Select Tools, Options, Maintenance, Troubleshooting, News.
Then access the news server. The log will be created in the same folder
with your DBX files (see Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder).
The file will have the name of the news server with a .LOG file
extension. You may need to close OE after accessing the news server for
the log to get written to disk.

"
ft.com wrote in
message ...

Old October 4th 07, 03:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Microsoft Internet Messaging API 6.00.2900.3138 (xpsp_sp2_gdr.070514-1324)
NNTP Log started at 10/03/2007 16:45:26
NNTP: 16:45:26 [db] Connecting to 'news.hawaiiantel.net' on port 119.
NNTP: 16:45:26 [db] srv_name = "news.hawaiiantel.net" srv_addr =
216.196.97.142
NNTP: 16:45:27 [rx] 200 News.GigaNews.Com
NNTP: 16:45:27 [tx] MODE READER
NNTP: 16:45:27 [rx] 480 authentication required
NNTP: 16:45:27 [tx] AUTHINFO USER
NNTP: 16:45:27 [rx] 381 more authentication required
NNTP: 16:45:27 [tx] AUTHINFO PASS *********
NNTP: 16:45:32 [rx] 502 Access Denied via @hawaiiantel.net auth server
NNTP: 16:45:32 [db] Connection to 'news.hawaiiantel.net' closed.
NNTP: 16:45:33 [db] Connecting to 'news.hawaiiantel.net' on port 119.
NNTP: 16:45:34 [rx] 200 News.GigaNews.Com
NNTP: 16:45:34 [tx] MODE READER
NNTP: 16:45:34 [rx] 480 authentication required
NNTP: 16:45:34 [tx] AUTHINFO USER

NNTP: 16:45:34 [rx] 381 more authentication required
NNTP: 16:45:34 [tx] AUTHINFO PASS *********
NNTP: 16:45:39 [rx] 502 Access Denied via @hawaiiantel.net auth server
NNTP: 16:45:39 [db] Connection to 'news.hawaiiantel.net' closed.

--

Mike -
http://pages.prodigy.net/michael_santovec/techhelp.htm

"
ft.com wrote in
message ...

Old October 4th 07, 04:04 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

I have tried everything that has been suggested. New identity, not using a
wser name and password. I use hawaiiantel for my ISP. It use to be owned by
verizon.

"PA Bear" wrote:

PLEASE stick to your original thread in OE General newsgroup! =
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...0cb7e62eab67c6
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net

Old October 4th 07, 09:35 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

User name is the part before the @, Hang_Loose_Hawaii .
It should not be your full email address.

According to the tutorial, you are supposed to uncheck ‘This server requires
me to log on’ setting.
http://www.hawaiiantel.net/wps/porta...ElVRS82XzNfOU0!
--
Ronald Sommer

Old October 4th 07, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

You aren't using your ISP's news server, you are trying to use
News.GigaNews.Com

You need an account with GigaNews and need to supply that information in
Outlook Express.

"
ft.com wrote in
message ...

Old October 5th 07, 03:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

UNBELIEVEABLE! I had removed and setup my newsgroup twice already and I was
having the same error. I tried it again and now it works. Thank you for the
help. Not only have I learned more about the newsgroup setup. I know how to
start my own thread (PA).