Email attachment symbol, but no attachment

Old September 27th 07, 10:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
xylophone

Default Email attachment symbol, but no attachment

I use XP SP2 and IE7 with OE6. I am getting emails which in the top part of
the page - where each email has a line comprising from ,subject, sent - it
also has an attachment symbol, the paper clip, but there is no attachment in
the message header in the bottom preview pane, or when I open it. What is
going wrong here? I assume the symbol should only appear in the line at the
top part of the page if there is an attachment for that message. Other
messages I have received have the same symbol on their line and there is an
attachment in their case.

Old September 28th 07, 11:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

If the message contains any HTML and you are reading in Plain Text, you will
see the paper clip.

Also, if you are using AVG for your anti-virus and have e-mail scanning
enabled, that can cause the issue as well. Normally, I would just say to
turn off the e-mail scanning feature. It is a redundant layer of protection
that eats up CPUs and causes a multitude of problems such as time-outs and
account setting changes. Your up-to-date A/V program will continue to
protect you sufficiently. However, with AVG you need to remove and
reinstall AVG and choose Custom Mode. Uncheck E-mail Scanning when you see
that option. For some reason, just unchecking it in the security center
causes a conflict with the Windows Security Center.

See:
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/re...?3,76131,76141
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old September 28th 07, 12:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
xylophone

Bruce,

Many thanks for this prompt and impressive reply. I do indeed use AVG
(abandoned Outpost when it went to version 4). One lives and learns.

Old September 28th 07, 03:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

YW & glad the problem was resolved.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old September 29th 07, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kate

May I just say that, rather than reinstall AVG to forego email
scanning, I rightclicked My Computer and selected Manage/Services &
Applications/Services and disabled it there. I did this ages ago and
have not had any problems...

Kate

Old September 29th 07, 10:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
xylophone

On my PC, this procedure produces AVG 7 Alert Manager Server and AVG7 Update
Service. Please explain where email scanning comes into either of these.

Old September 29th 07, 11:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kate

As you have now reinstalled without email scanning, I guess it won`t
appear in Services any more.

I take PA Bear`s point about a bloated install, but as it`s in there
now, I probably won`t go to the bother of a reinstall unless something
else goes wrong, on the premise that "if it ain`t broke, don`t fix
it"!

Kate

&

Old September 29th 07, 11:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Stopping the following Service and configuring it not to load at startup
should disable AVG's email scanning...

AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS)

....but I can assure you that doing so will make your AVG icon in
Notification Area grayed-out and Security Center will protest about it until
you either re-enable the Service or uninstall AVG and do a custom reinstall,
opting out of installing the Email Scanner.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net