How to set margins in Email messages

Old August 22nd 07, 09:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Hank

Default How to set margins in Email messages

I receive some emails with text in nice 4-5 inch wide lines. Other emails
come with text wide as the page. My outgoing emails are wide as the page.
How do you set margins in OE6? I have Windows XP SP2, and IE7.
Old August 22nd 07, 11:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Your outgoing emails don't get formatted until you send to Drafts or the
Outbox.
How do your emails in those folders?
--
Ronald Sommer

Old August 23rd 07, 04:22 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Hank

Outgoing email is only in the Outbox until it gets sent. I looked in the
Drafts and Sent folders and my email text goes full page width except where I
was forwarding someone else's email that was just 4-5 inches wide.

Old August 23rd 07, 10:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Tools, Options, Send, HTML and Plain text settings,
Change the Encode text using to None.
--
Ronald Sommer

"Hank" wrote in message
: Outgoing email is only in the Outbox until it gets sent. I looked in the
: Drafts and Sent folders and my email text goes full page width except
where I
: was forwarding someone else's email that was just 4-5 inches wide.
:
: "Ron Sommer" wrote:
:
: Your outgoing emails don't get formatted until you send to Drafts or the
: Outbox.
: How do your emails in those folders?
: --
: Ronald Sommer
:
: ...

Old August 23rd 07, 06:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Hank

Ron,
I didn't know about this setting and a search for keyword "margins" in the
OE6 Help section didn't find anything about margins. I changed Encode text
to none and set it to 70 characters, clicked Apply & OK. I sent myself an
email. It showed about 130 characters across the width of the page when I
typed it. When it came to me, it still showed 130 - way more than 70
characters wide.

: "Ron Sommer" wrote:
:
: Your outgoing emails don't get formatted until you send to Drafts or the
: Outbox.
: How do your emails in those folders?
: --
: Ronald Sommer
:
: ...

Old August 23rd 07, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

I use MIME/None for Plain. Text and Quoted Printable for HTML. If you just
hold down a key and never use a space, when you get it, (using my settings),
it will be wrapped when reading in Plain Text, and off the screen when
reading in HTML. Does this shed any light?
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

: "Ron Sommer" wrote:
:
: Your outgoing emails don't get formatted until you send to Drafts or
the
: Outbox.
: How do your emails in those folders?
: --
: Ronald Sommer
:
: ...

Old August 23rd 07, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Hank

I've tried yours and Ron's suggestions. My text was 4 characters, space, 4
characters, space, etc, etc. I get approx 130 characters & spaces across the
viewable page both ways before I send it and after it comes back.

: "Ron Sommer" wrote:
:
: Your outgoing emails don't get formatted until you send to Drafts or
the
: Outbox.
: How do your emails in those folders?
: --
: Ronald Sommer
:
: ...

Old August 23rd 07, 07:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Try a new identity to eliminate that possibility, and test it before you
change any of the default settings in Tools | Options.

You may have a damaged identity especially if it is the default Main
Identity. File | Identity | Add New Identity. Create a new one and test it.
If all is well, you can import your messages and Address Book from the old
identity and delete it.

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

: "Ron Sommer" wrote:
:
: Your outgoing emails don't get formatted until you send to Drafts
or
the
: Outbox.
: How do your emails in those folders?
: --
: Ronald Sommer
:
: ...

Old August 23rd 07, 10:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

: "Ron Sommer" wrote:
:
: Your outgoing emails don't get formatted until you send to Drafts
or
the
: Outbox.
: How do your emails in those folders?
: --
: Ronald Sommer
:
: "Hank" wrote in message
: ...
: :I receive some emails with text in nice 4-5 inch wide lines.
Other
emails
: : come with text wide as the page. My outgoing emails are wide as
the
page.
: : How do you set margins in OE6? I have Windows XP SP2, and IE7.
:
:

You have yet to confirm that you changed to MIME/None instead of MIME/Quoted
Printable.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
Do not send mail.

Old August 24th 07, 12:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Robert Aldwinckle

"Hank" wrote in message
I receive some emails with text in nice 4-5 inch wide lines. Other emails
come with text wide as the page. My outgoing emails are wide as the page.

Perhaps you are comparing apples and oranges?
E.g. use Message Source (Alt-Enter,Ctrl-Tab,Alt-M)
and see if the sender was using OE or some other more capable
mail program... eg

However, there is still the possibility that the sender is deliberately
ending lines (as a typist would) by pressing Enter (or in some editors
Shift-Enter). Similarly they could have done something such as composed
the message using some other editor such as Word or even WordPad,
which has a simple way of specifying and using a right margin.
Then they would just have to do a Select All, Copy, Paste operation
to see the same effect in OE.

Hmm... I can't even do it with WordPad. I can set a margin using its Ruler
but in order to preserve its effect for a Copy operation I have to go all
through the document and press End,Shift-Enter on every line, which really
isn't much of an advantage to just using the typist's approach in OE from the
start.

Tip: one way to tell if you need a new-line on a line which might be
wrapping on the screen (besides maximizing the window) is to press End
and CursorRight. If the Cursor selects the second character on the next line
you can know that that word is part of the previous line; so if you really want
it to go on the next line you must insert a newline (e.g. with Shift-Enter.)

How do you set margins in OE6?

I don't see any way in the Rich Text UI to do that.
It may be possible using custom HTML in the Source tab...
Posters in the Stationery newsgroup may know of such tricks.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---