POP3, STMP settings: error messages- please help

Old August 20th 07, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
caprica

Default POP3, STMP settings: error messages- please help

Hi, (sorry if this sounds stupid)
When you first set up the OE account it asks for POP3, SMTP, etc... I
have no idea what this was or where to access the correct info to type in.
I sure mine is wrong because I keep getting error messages (can't send or
receive). Also: it also asks for an email address - is this one I create
@microsoft.com or is it my old email address (not OE). Should I just
DELETE my account and start over? not even sure how to do that???
I would really appreciate ANY help.

thanks-

Old August 20th 07, 02:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

Ask your Internet Service Provider.
You do not make up your own address.
--
Ronald Sommer

"caprica" wrote in message
: Hi, (sorry if this sounds stupid)
: When you first set up the OE account it asks for POP3, SMTP, etc... I
: have no idea what this was or where to access the correct info to type in.
: I sure mine is wrong because I keep getting error messages (can't send or
: receive). Also: it also asks for an email address - is this one I create
: @microsoft.com or is it my old email address (not OE). Should I just
: DELETE my account and start over? not even sure how to do that???
: I would really appreciate ANY help.
:
: thanks-
:
:

Old August 20th 07, 03:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi Caprica,

Ron offered some good advice. You will need to see information your ISP
might have mailed to you, visit your ISP's support page where full
instructions may be located, or call your ISP to get the information
needed to setup the e-mail account they provide, especially if you do
not know your account password(s).

POP3 and SMTP are Internet standard protocols for e-mail on a network.
These work with incoming and outgoing mail servers.

POP3 = Post Office Protocol version 3 (for incoming messages)
SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (for outgoing messages)

Basic Guide from Microsoft
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...eos/email.mspx

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old August 20th 07, 02:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

Stick with webmail, caprica.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)