Embedded gif causes Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554

Old July 22nd 07, 07:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
phil

Default Embedded gif causes Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554

Folks,

I'm a news junkie and travel for a living. When on the road I occasionally
have a problem that I never have from home. I do my general email from
Outlook, but because it is so easy to remove scripts from the code sometimes
in news articles html I use Outlook Express to edit and send news stories to
friends and family

The problem: If I send a news story with the news source's masthead embedded
as a gif, I sometimes get an error like this:

"An unknown error has occurred. Subject '"Family renews search for hunter's
remains" & "Remains of Texas hunter found in western Colorado"', Account:
'Phillip xxxxxx', Server: 'mail.wildblue.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server
Response: '554 mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0)', Port: 25,
Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC6F"

However, if I just send the article without the embedded gif, it goes
through without a problem. But wait, that's not all. LOL

If I take the very same article and copy it from the Outlook Express note
that I have prepared, and then paste it into an Outlook note and I re-embed
the gif (When I paste it in there's nothing but a placeholder in the Outlook
message for some reason.); when I then hit send the Outlook copy WILL send
with the embedded gif.

Configurations: I can see NO difference in the configuration of Outlook
(Outlook 2003 (11.8118.8132) SP2) and Outlook Express (OE 6 (6.00.2900.2180
(xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)). Both clients are configured the same, with "My
server requires authentication" checked and the information correctly
reflected.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Phil

Old July 23rd 07, 08:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

It's the mail server rejecting the message:

Server: 'mail.wildblue.net',
Server Response: '554 mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0)'

5.3.0

5.XXX.XXX Permanent Failure

A permanent failure is one which is not likely to be resolved
by resending the message in the current form. Some change to
the message or the destination must be made for successful
delivery.

X.3.0 Other or undefined mail system status

The destination system exists and normally accepts mail, but
something about the system has caused the generation of this
DSN.

How are you getting the news story into OE in the first place? Are you
opening OE, starting a new message or then doing a copy/paste of the
text or are you doing a Send Page from IE or something else?

You may want to record an smtp.log which will show more details about
outgoing mail.

To create an SMTP.log In OE5+, go to Tools, Options, Maintenance,
Troubleshooting, Mail
You may need to close OE after doing the send for the log to get written
to disk.
The log will be in the Store Folder which is listed in Tools, Options,
Maintenance, Store Folder.

Old July 24th 07, 04:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
phil

Default Embedded gif causes Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 5

Mike,

Thanks for the try. I will have to wait to do the testing from another
hotel another time. One vexing element is that this happens so infrequently
and that I am only at the hotel for ten to fourteen hours.

However, of note to me - while you state it is a mail server issue, I'm
puzzled why that mail server issue never crops up when I do this exact same
thing from home? And why would it handle email from Outlook differently from
Outlook Express?

As for how I'm doing it - I copy and paste right from a web page. Once
pasted into OE 6 I open the edit tab and remove all scripts, iframes, etc.,
and insert the news service gif and send it along.

I'll hope some of this information is helpful to someone as we try to
resolve this.

Regards,

Phil

Old July 24th 07, 06:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

It's hard to say what's going on there, since it's inconsistent. The
error message is just being passed on to you by OE from what the mail
server said.

Are you doing any anti-virus scanning of outgoing mail? The anti-virus
can present itself as the SMTP mail server to your mail program. And
when the submission difference is based on the existence or not of
attachments (including images) the anti-virus is the likely culprit.

The other thing that can come into play when traveling is your ISP
placing restrictions on the use of the SMTP mail server when connecting
from outside of their network. Although in that case, they either
accept all messages or reject all messages.

news