Not receiving .mpg or .wmv files through OE

Old January 29th 07, 04:03 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Poohbear

Default Not receiving .mpg or .wmv files through OE

Anyone have any idea why I can get these files on my mail server but they
don't download into OE. I have made sure the blocking section is unchecked in
the tools security section.

I get .jpg's fine and other attachments just not .wmv or .mpg.
Old January 29th 07, 04:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Might see if these articles shed any light on the problem. I suspect your
may be dealing with wmv files that are not marked as "safe" by the creators.
But having said that, can you determine that they have been in fact
attached, or embedded into the message? If they are sent embedded (with a
correspondingly large message file size), you can change your settings to
reply in Plain Text and not using Reply in Format in which sent and just
forward them and you should see the attached (or embedded) file in the line
just below the Subject line. Try that first and see if it works. If the
message is small in its overall file size, then the wmv/mpg file is most
likely "streamed" to you rather than being included.

Description of how the Attachment Manager works in Windows XP Service Pack
2:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=883260

Windows XP Service Pack 2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook
Express:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/s...eoverview.mspx

--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Windows Mail applications

Old January 29th 07, 04:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Poohbear

Great info. I know that the attachment is getting to the server and opens,
because I can check messages on the server and it works fine there. When I
open OE all the messages are there but not the .wmv or .mpg files. Driving me
nuts.

Old January 29th 07, 04:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Then that suggests the server is "stripping" the attachments. Contact the
server admin types and ask them.