Changing a File Date

Old January 27th 07, 04:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill Helbron

Default Changing a File Date

I happened to notice when organizing one of my folders that an email message
that I received back on 06-Mar-2000 appears as 06-Mar-2006 and, therefore, is
out of order. I have no idea how this happened and have tried using SetFileDate
software to change it but I must be doing something wrong. Any suggestions?

Bill
Old January 27th 07, 07:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Each mail messages has multiple time stamps. You can see these in File,
Properties, Details.

When you look at the list of messages in Microsoft IE3 Internet Mail or
IE4+ Outlook Express, the Received time is when the message was received
by your ISP's mail server. The server supplies the time. This is the
first (top most) of possibly several "Received:" lines in the message
header. Each mail server that a message passes through adds its own
Received line. These are in reverse order, so that the bottom most one
listed is the first server that received the message from the sender. I
presume that you are talking about this date.

When you open or print a message, the time displayed is from the
sender's PC when he wrote the message, not necessarily when he
transmitted it (depends on the mail client). The time comes from his
PC. This is the "Date:" line in the message header.

If one of those is missing, or an invalid format it's possible fix the
message.

- Do a File, Save As to save the message to an *.EML file, or
drag-and-drop the message to Windows folder
- Then edit the file in Notepad or other text editor. Change the
Received or Date lines as desired.
- Save the file.
- With OE5+, you can drag-and-drop the message back to an OE folder.
- You can then delete the original message.

For the message syntax see:
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2822.txt

Or if that's too confusing, as RFCs often are, copy/paste what you find
for the received and date headers.

Old January 27th 07, 08:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bill Helbron

Thanks Michael,

I should have mentioned up front that I'm using IE6, but that probably won't
make any difference. I used the example in your reference:
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2822.txt to change the date and now the folder is
sorted properly. Thanks!

Bill

Old January 28th 07, 11:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

You are welcome.

The version of IE shouldn't make any difference for this issue, but
stranger things have been know to happen.