Attachment problem

Old January 6th 07, 11:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DavidS

Default Attachment problem

If I want to attach a file (.jpg) to an email using Outlook Express 7,
I can click on it and it will appear in the attachments line/box.
This is perfect!

If I now send this file, the recipient sees the (jpg) open at the
bottom of the email.

My queston is - Is there a way of not opening these files in transit?

I know it is only a small problem but I am sure one of the experts out
there will be able to help!
Thanks - David

Old January 6th 07, 11:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias

DavidS wrote:
If I want to attach a file (.jpg) to an email using Outlook Express 7,

Do you mean Windows Mail? Outlook Express 7 doesn't exist.

I can click on it and it will appear in the attachments line/box.
This is perfect!

If I now send this file, the recipient sees the (jpg) open at the
bottom of the email.

My queston is - Is there a way of not opening these files in transit?

No. The receiver, however, can configure their email client not to show
photos.

Alias
Old January 6th 07, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Poprivet

DavidS wrote:
If I want to attach a file (.jpg) to an email using Outlook Express 7,
I can click on it and it will appear in the attachments line/box.
This is perfect!

There is no OE7; Only IE7.

If I now send this file, the recipient sees the (jpg) open at the
bottom of the email.

My queston is - Is there a way of not opening these files in transit?

Yes, but how it's displayed is a function of how the user receiving the
photo is set up, not your own settings. They have it set to display the
photos inline. About all you can do is advise them of same if it's a
problem for them.

HTH
Pop`

Old January 6th 07, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

"DavidS" wrote in message
ups.com...
If I want to attach a file (.jpg) to an email using Outlook Express 7,
I can click on it and it will appear in the attachments line/box.
This is perfect!

If I now send this file, the recipient sees the (jpg) open at the
bottom of the email.

My queston is - Is there a way of not opening these files in transit?

I know it is only a small problem but I am sure one of the experts out
there will be able to help!

Whether or not the recipient sees the message is a function of their email
program and its settings.

You could ZIP the file before sending, or change the extension to TXT
instead of JPG or GIF and tell the recipient to change it back.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old January 6th 07, 05:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DavidS

Thanks everybody!
As you can see I am a confused, old silver surfer. Of course I am
using Outlook Express SIX. Perhaps I was just anticiapting SEVEN.

I shall tell my friend that it is up to him to set his computer so that
my (jpg) are not open when he receives them. I hardly dare ask -
Where are the settings to do that because I will have to set mine for
the ones he sends me.

Thank you for being so tolerant!!!!
David

Old January 6th 07, 07:25 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Poprivet

DavidS wrote:
Thanks everybody!
As you can see I am a confused, old silver surfer. Of course I am
using Outlook Express SIX. Perhaps I was just anticiapting SEVEN.

I shall tell my friend that it is up to him to set his computer so
that my (jpg) are not open when he receives them. I hardly dare
ask - Where are the settings to do that because I will have to set
mine for the ones he sends me.

Thank you for being so tolerant!!!!
David

There may have been a slight misunderstanding here; take a look at this,
from the OE6 Help file, in particular the second Note:
----------------------------
To insert a picture into a message

1.. Click the place in the message where you want the image to appear.
2.. On the Insert menu, click Picture, and then click Browse to find the
image file.
3.. Enter Layout and Spacing information for the image file as needed.
Notes

a.. If you cannot select the Picture command, make sure HTML formatting is
turned on by clicking the Format menu in the message window and then
clicking Rich Text (HTML). A black dot appears by the command when it is
selected.
b..
c.. If message recipients are not able to view your inserted images, on
the Tools menu, click Options. Click the Send tab, click HTML Settings, and
then make sure that Send pictures with messages is selected. Then resend
your message.
d..
e.. To insert a background picture into your message, in the message
window, on the Format menu, point to Background, and then click Picture.
Click the Browse button to search for the file you want to use.
-----------------------------

And, of course, the recipient must have his set up to receive HTML messages
(not just Plain Text). If they are set to receive in Text only, even an
inserted message will be an attachment to them in that case.

HTH
Pop`

Old January 6th 07, 09:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Assuming that your friend also uses OE 6, to change whether or not he
automatically sees the images on his PC, have him see the following
article:

Outlook Express Slide Show OE5, OE6
http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/slideshow.htm
In the case of OE6, if the "Automatically Inline Images" key is missing,
it can be added with a value of 0 to disable display of images at the
bottom of the message text. Not having the key or setting it to 1
enables display.

Note: In Windows XP SP2 or Windows 2003 SP1, when Tools, Options, Read,
Read All Message In Plain Text is selected, that also stops the display
of images. (For a quick workaround for the current message, press
ALT+Shift+H)

oups.com...

Old January 6th 07, 09:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Slootweg

DavidS wrote:
Thanks everybody!
As you can see I am a confused, old silver surfer. Of course I am
using Outlook Express SIX. Perhaps I was just anticiapting SEVEN.

I shall tell my friend that it is up to him to set his computer so that
my (jpg) are not open when he receives them. I hardly dare ask -
Where are the settings to do that because I will have to set mine for
the ones he sends me.

Thank you for being so tolerant!!!!
David

As you are talking about one specific person (your friend), you
(probably) are also talking about one specific email program ("client"),
i.e. the one he uses. *Which* email client is that? I.e. name
and version. If we know, we might be able to give specific instructions
for him to follow.

For *your* side, it's simple: Tools - Options... - "Read" tab -
tick (i.e. "V") the "Read all messages in plain text" option. Done.
Old January 7th 07, 10:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DavidS

Many thanks people....
Working perfectly now!
Regards