Too many Problems

Old October 31st 06, 10:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Brian Murphy

Default Too many Problems

I've had too many problems with this Outlook Express.
Why do things go wacky out of the blue?
I don't do anything new... it often asks to compact folders which I always do.

I know my Comcast accounts are supposed to be transitioning to Time Warner
Road Runner thing, but we have a year to keep receiving the Comcast emails.

I also had a new thing awhile ago where all of a sudden my computer would
ask me for my user ID and password to open up. This came after I removed the
users of my 2 kids and wife on the thing because they were worthless.

But I couldn't remember what a password was and somehow the only way I was
able to get thru it now was change the user id to brian instead of
Administrator. But to do the Road Runner Wizard, it's telling me I need to
have Administrator authorities!

Unless I can get a Microsoft tech out here to clear this whole thing out,
what's the cure-all easiest solution? Buy a whole new Windows package? And
erase this whole spider web of knots? I don't even know if I will be able to
see any responses here unless they can be fwd to me at yahoo instead.

Thanks for any help
Old October 31st 06, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ted Zieglar

Answers inline. (That means look down.)

---
Ted Zieglar
"Backup is a computer user's best friend."

Brian Murphy wrote:
I've had too many problems with this Outlook Express.
Why do things go wacky out of the blue?
I don't do anything new... it often asks to compact folders which I always do.

Compacting folders is a normal maintenance procedure.

I know my Comcast accounts are supposed to be transitioning to Time Warner
Road Runner thing, but we have a year to keep receiving the Comcast emails.

What does this have to do with Outlook Express?

I also had a new thing awhile ago where all of a sudden my computer would
ask me for my user ID and password to open up.

This is a Comcast issue. Nothing to do with Outlook Express.

This came after I removed the
users of my 2 kids and wife on the thing because they were worthless.

But I couldn't remember what a password was

And who's fault was that?

and somehow the only way I was
able to get thru it now was change the user id to brian instead of
Administrator.

But to do the Road Runner Wizard, it's telling me I need to
have Administrator authorities!

User accounts and their different permissions are a fundamental part of
XP. You should learn about them. The Help and Support Center is a good
place to start. Also, Microsoft's web site.

Unless I can get a Microsoft tech out here to clear this whole thing out,
what's the cure-all easiest solution? Buy a whole new Windows package? And
erase this whole spider web of knots?

So far I don't see a Microsoft problem or a Windows problem. I'm very
sorry to say that you're the author of your own problems. You need to
learn about Windows XP and how to use your computer.

Old October 31st 06, 11:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Brian Murphy

Maybe I mentioned too much info.
Maybe not enough. I mentioned the Comcast Time Warner part because that
also is a problem for me today with their Wizard issue due to my not being
able to log into my Windows XP as Administrator. And that problem resulted a
few months ago when I decided to remove my kids unnecessary IDs I had created
when I first got this Dell with the Windows XP almost 3 years ago. I had
never had to enter user IDs and passwords before.

Enough of that, all my mail is wacko now, this morning it just kept
receiving the same mails over and over and over.

Now it's trying to keep doing that, but it keeps timing out giving me this
error below.
I am going to have to start accessing all my emails directly from Comcast I
guess.

inactivity. Account: 'mail.comcast.net', Server: 'mail.comcast.net',
Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F

I am not a computer geek, but I know a lot more than the average person. I
shouldn't have to read books to figure out how to use email thru Outlook
Express. If it works fine one day, and I wake up and it's wacky, how can I be
at fault?

Can a person like me buy a new version of Windows XP and completely start
over?
I don't have time to keep printing advice and trying it, only to have it not
work. I'd prefer to get a tech out here, or re-install it from scratch, even
though I might lose all my emails and addresses.

Should I call out a Microsoft Tech or buy a new Windows XP? Is that possible?
(the thing is still checking for new messages on mail.comcast.net as I
type.....)

Problem that happened

Old November 1st 06, 01:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Let's take one thing at a time. Are you fully patched at Windows Updates?
This additional patch, which will be part of a cumulative update in the
future is available to English and German XP/SP users right now.

In your case, compacting manually will not remove the prompt to compact, but
with this patch, it will do that among other things.

Patch KB918766:
http://tinyurl.com/mx3r2

This patch addresses some of the issues that were caused by KB911567.

Address Book problems.
Unsent templates appearing as sent.
Manually compacting will now reset the registry counter to Zero in WinXP/SP2
and also sends a copy of your dbx files to the recycle bin as a temporary
backup.

To complete the fix for .eml templates, a registry change is needed. See:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918766

Tom Koch also has this information at his site, along with a downloadable
Zip file to do the registry change for you. See:
http://www.insideoe.com/#kb918651
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

Old November 1st 06, 04:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Brian Murphy

Thank you Bruce for your help.
I successfully did that patch, but the registry thing scares me when I read
the WARNING, could lose operating system. I am a Murphy and Murphy's Law
always applies to me. I lost one operating system once already a few years
back.

That's why I'm thinking I either should, at this point, try to find a
Microsoft-Certified tech to make a housecall, or just forget using the
Outlook Express and go right thru the Comcast Webmails like my wife does.
It's just that I have 3 or 4 Comcast accounts and it's so much faster to
bounce back and forth using the OE, if it's operating properly.

Do you know, have, any suggestions on how to go about finding an in-person
guy to fix these things? I'm in north Dallas. I once hired a general computer
geek and wasted money as he couldn't figure out that Outlook Express problem
I had then, 3 years ago, on a different computer.

Thanks again Bruce

Old November 1st 06, 02:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Use this as I posted:

Zip file to do the registry change for you. See:
http://www.insideoe.com/#kb918651

All you have to do is click Run and the registry change is made for you.
Foolproof.

Old November 2nd 06, 03:16 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
PA Bear

NEVER post or use your real email address in public newsgroups or forums!

I don't do anything new... it often asks to compact folders which I always
do.

Do you compact ALL folders?

Your current Identity may be damaged, especially if its the default Main
Identity. Try one or more of your accounts in a new Named Identity (File
Identities Add new identity). Assuming all is well, (1) compact all
folders in the old identity, (2) import messages from the old identity into
the new one, and then (3) delete the old one (File Identities Manage
Identities).

To avoid such corruption in futu

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- WinXP SP2 only: If your machine is fully up-to-date at Windows Update,
installing the following patch (KB918766) will help to avoid such data loss
in the futu
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-98af2256ccc3

This patch will be included in the next Cumulative Update for Outlook
Express/WinXP SP2.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Old November 4th 06, 02:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
wierd

"Bruce Hagen" schreef in bericht
Use this as I posted:

Problems LESJMC Outlook Express 1 October 8th 06 10:35 PM
I am having problems too.please help me Susana Mirian Artigas Outlook Express 3 May 28th 06 12:56 AM
Activationwizard problems Kenny007 Outlook - Installation 1 May 25th 06 06:54 PM
problems the boss Outlook Express 1 April 20th 06 01:01 AM
PlanPlus v 3 (and Outlook 2003 SP2) - install problems, uninstall problems, bugs? kkernspa Add-ins for Outlook 0 April 9th 06 03:07 AM