Outlook Express & IE7

Old October 23rd 06, 03:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
gary

Default Outlook Express & IE7

Since installing IE7 am 'unable to poll for new messages' on my hotmail
accounts using outlook express 6.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Or, better still is there a fix?

Many thanks
Gary
Old October 23rd 06, 09:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Hotmail still works in Outlook Express with IE7 installed as long as the
account worked previously in Outlook Express. If it's a *new* Hotmail
account on a system which has never downloaded Hotmail into Outlook Express,
it will not work since only new, paid accounts can be downloaded by Outlook
Express.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Windows Mail Apps
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Old October 23rd 06, 09:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

Authentication fails when you use Outlook or Outlook Express to try to
log
on to a HTTP-based mail server if you use Internet Explorer version 7.0:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=904942

Old October 24th 06, 10:42 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
gary

Hotmail still works in Outlook Express with IE7 installed as long as the
account worked previously in Outlook Express. If it's a *new* Hotmail
account on a system which has never downloaded Hotmail into Outlook Express,
it will not work since only new, paid accounts can be downloaded by Outlook
Express.

Hi Jim, I've had my 2 hotmail accounts working for years from OE. I have now
found a 'patch' for IE7 that will fix the issue.

Many Thanks
Gary
Old October 24th 06, 10:44 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
gary

"Michael Santovec" wrote:
Authentication fails when you use Outlook or Outlook Express to try to
log
on to a HTTP-based mail server if you use Internet Explorer version 7.0:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=904942

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the link. I have installed the patch, but it has only fixed one
of my two hotmail accounts - are you aware if this patch will recognise/fix
multiple hotmail accounts?

Best Regards
Gary
Old October 24th 06, 07:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

It ought to apply equally to all your Hotmail accounts.

Did you have OE closed while apply the patch? And have you rebooted
since doing so?

Also, are your Hotmail accounts both in one identity or in separate
ones? Hotmail support in OE has long been flakey. It works best when
each Hotmail account is in a separate identity. A number of people have
had multiple Hotmail accounts in a single identity and had it work fine
then suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.

Old October 24th 06, 07:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
gary

"Michael Santovec" wrote:

It ought to apply equally to all your Hotmail accounts.

Did you have OE closed while apply the patch? And have you rebooted
since doing so?

Also, are your Hotmail accounts both in one identity or in separate
ones? Hotmail support in OE has long been flakey. It works best when
each Hotmail account is in a separate identity. A number of people have
had multiple Hotmail accounts in a single identity and had it work fine
then suddenly stop working for no apparent reason.

Hi Michael, thank you for the reply.

OE was closed during the patch and the pc has been rebooted. I think my 2
hotmail accounts are under the same identity as I only have 1 identity listed
under my user name... *user*\local settings\application data\identities\*only
one listed*

Is it best to have 2 identities? and how?

I have just checked my mail again while writing this and it seems my 2nd
hotmail account is now ok..... strange I have not changed anything!

Thanks again
Gary
Old October 25th 06, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

How to Create and Use Identities in Outlook Express
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=209169

People generally have better results when there is no more than one
Hotmail account within an identity.

Your experience is common. Hotmail may work fine for a awhile, then it
may fail or some accounts work while others fail, then things are OK
again.

Old October 25th 06, 08:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
gary

Thank you for your help Michael.
Old October 30th 06, 05:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
steve

"Gary" wrote:

Hotmail still works in Outlook Express with IE7 installed as long as the
account worked previously in Outlook Express. If it's a *new* Hotmail
account on a system which has never downloaded Hotmail into Outlook Express,
it will not work since only new, paid accounts can be downloaded by Outlook
Express.

Hi Jim, I've had my 2 hotmail accounts working for years from OE. I have now
found a 'patch' for IE7 that will fix the issue.

Many Thanks
Gary

\
Please what and where is this patch Gary