dbx files opened w/ another program created problems

Old September 11th 06, 09:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default dbx files opened w/ another program created problems

I think I've corrupted my email folders. I went into Identities and
tried opening one of the DBX programs with the OE program and then all
of the dbx folders switched over to the OE icon. What i originally
tried to do was archive my inbox by renaming it so it would become an
archive folder and i'd start fresh with a new inbox. The problem is
getting worse because each time I have tried to correct the problem OE
opens with more weird folders that I did not put there and I've lost
access in the OE tree to some of my original folders. I've tried to
remove the "Opens With" program, but cannot. Is my goose cooked? I
have attached below info that I've already referenced here. Thanks.

From: Ron Sommer - view profile
Date: Fri, Feb 3 2006 12:03 pm
Email: "Ron Sommer"
Groups: microsoft.public.outlookexpress.general
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

OE uses dbx files, but will not open a dbx file if you click on one dbx

file.
The OE store folder contains a dbx file for every message folder in OE
plus
folders.dbx, pop3uidl.dbx, and offline.dbx.
When OE displays the folder list, it uses folders.dbx to show the
folders
used in that Identity.
If you open the Inbox folder in OE, OE uses inbox.dbx.
File, Open in OE opens a folder or a message.
It doesn't open a dbx file.

If you corrupt a dbx file by trying to open with another program, you
could
lose all messages in that file.
The safest is to have no program associated with dbx files.

Why are you trying to open the dbx files?
--
Ron Sommer

"Alan Davies" wrote in message

When I use file explorer to find my .dbx folders and then try to open them
by double clicking, I get an error message:
"AvantGo connect received an invalid auto configuration file. Please
contact......." etc
Why is this?
and how do I correct it?
TIA
--
Alan Davies

Old September 11th 06, 09:42 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

See the reply to your post in OE General.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express

ups.com...

Old September 11th 06, 11:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

I didn't see any replies there. Are you referring to the two responses
I pasted in from a February thread to further clarify my problem?

Bruce Hagen wrote:
See the reply to your post in OE General.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

ups.com...

Old September 12th 06, 12:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

No, Bruce is referring to my reply, which you can read at this link:

Just another reason why we ask users to *NOT* multipost but instead learn
how to crosspost.

--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

ps.com...

Bruce Hagen wrote:
See the reply to your post in OE General.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

ups.com...

Old September 12th 06, 12:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

And I should add that you'd have better luck with finding messages/replies
if you subscribe directly to the appropriate server hosting the newsgroup,
rather than Google. Google does not update as frequently as the main
hosting server which is:
msnews.microsoft.com
--

"Jim Pickering" wrote in message
No, Bruce is referring to my reply, which you can read at this link:

Just another reason why we ask users to *NOT* multipost but instead learn
how to crosspost.

--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6
Please deliver feedback to the newsgroup, so that others can be helped.

wrote in message
ps.com...
I didn't see any replies there. Are you referring to the two responses
I pasted in from a February thread to further clarify my problem?

Transfering .dbx files from CD to OE michgal2k Outlook Express 11 June 3rd 06 03:12 PM
I created .msg files for contacts from my old outlook program. Telemann Outlook - General Queries 1 May 9th 06 04:15 PM
dbx files Aftermath Outlook Express 1 January 16th 06 03:45 AM
DBX Files - Automation Dave Outlook Express 4 January 15th 06 05:35 PM
DBX Files Dave Outlook Express 4 January 13th 06 11:39 PM