Can't use Outlook Express with BT?

Old August 31st 06, 04:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John Brown

Default Can't use Outlook Express with BT?

Friend uses BT for telephone and Broadband Internet Provider. He used to be
with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo...taken over by Orange) and has an
e-mail address which he uses via BT. He says he can't use
Outlook Express for e-mail with that e address and BT broadband unless he
pays extra! Does that make sense - or has my friend got this wrong?
Thanks. John

Old August 31st 06, 07:17 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

John Brown wrote:
Friend uses BT for telephone and Broadband Internet Provider. He
used to be with Freeserve (taken over by Wanadoo...taken over by
Orange) and has an e-mail address which he uses
via BT. He says he can't use Outlook Express for e-mail with that e
address and BT broadband unless he pays extra! Does that make sense -
or has my friend got this wrong? Thanks. John

Assuming that Freeserve (whoever they happen to be this month!) does not
"take away" his email address, there is no reason why he cannot continue
to use it whether via the web or OE.
I am with Freeserve and have an fsnet.co.uk address. I do plan to change
ISP's in September, as we are moving to a different area with cable. So
I guess I will find out the answer to my own question soon! I did used
to be with BT a long time ago, and as soon as I changed to Freeserve, my
BT email address was removed by BT. I suspect this will be the same with
FS as the email address is tied into the username/account.
In the meantime, for your friend, assuming the email address is still
valid, then all he has to do in OE is use the POP3 server as given by
FS, but the SMTP server for outgoing mail as given by BT.
Just as a matter of interest, my son still uses his UKonline email
address, via OE, despite not having been with this ISP for over 5 years.
Hope this helps.
--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Old August 31st 06, 08:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Joan Archer

Funny you should mention them Kath, I've had an account with them for
years and don't log onto the service but still have the email addy working
in OE g
Joan

snip

Old August 31st 06, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
John Brown

"Kath Adams" wrote in message
John Brown wrote:
[...]

Ah, thanks for that Kath ...most useful.
You mention if his e-mail address is still valid...yes it is and he uses it
daily...via the web...what I'm trying to do is see if its possible for him
to use Outlook Express for outgoing and incoming mail.
You say use the Freeserve POP3 one for incoming mail...that will work will
it?...alternatively do you think he could use the BT POP3?
Ref the outgoing mail how does he find out what the BT SMTP server is (apart
from asking BT - which he will do if necessary but has recently had his fill
of speaking with unhelpful BT help desk!)...would it be the same server for
all BT punters?...if so someone would be able to tell us what it is...?

.....I'm with Orange and I use pop.freeserve.com and smtp.freeserve.com for
incoming and outgoing mail respectively...not sure what would the BT
equivalents be to give it a try - anyone any ideas?

Old August 31st 06, 10:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kath Adams

John Brown wrote:
"Kath Adams" wrote in message
John Brown wrote:
[...]

Yes, the Freeserve incoming will work. It won't work using BT as he will
be using his FS email address and the mail will be on their servers,
which have nothing to do with BT.

But because he will be connected to the internet with BT, he will have
to use the BT SMTP server for his outgoing mail. Fellow MVP, Tom Koch,
puts it better than I can -

quoteMost ISPs configure their SMTP servers to recognize only those
whose IP address is on the accepted list, meaning that you are connected
directly to that ISP. If you use multiple ISPs, you are likely to
encounter this problem. The solution is to change the SMTP server for
that mail account under Tools| Accounts| account name Properties|
Servers. /quote

And out of my little yellow book, use - pop.freeserve.net for
incoming.

(You can use pop.freeserve.com instead, which I note you use, either
will work.)

and mail.btinternet.com for the outgoing.

(BT actually use the same for both incoming and outgoing.)

Let me know how he gets on. Here is a useful link -
http://snipurl.com/vqys

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (Outlook Express)

Outlook Express 6 The more I delete the bigger Outlook Express 6 folders gets [email protected] Outlook - General Queries 1 August 15th 06 12:15 PM
Outlook Express 7 Crossfire Outlook Express 3 July 28th 06 12:26 AM
Outlook Express 6 Kim Outlook Express 6 June 5th 06 08:07 PM
outlook express ed Outlook - General Queries 1 January 10th 06 12:22 AM
outlook express ed Outlook - General Queries 0 January 9th 06 11:40 PM