Outlook Express 6 address book won't export

Old July 22nd 06, 11:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default Outlook Express 6 address book won't export

I've inherited an Outlook Express address book containing only one
"contact": a list with about 300 email addresses in it, nothing else.

I need to export it to a .CSV file, and the export dialogue says the
export has been completed, but the file is nowhere to be found. I've
tried changing the file to a .txt file before exporting; I've chosen
different directories: *no file to be found*.

This is driving me nuts. What on earth am I doing wrong or can I try?

Thanks,

Tom

Old July 22nd 06, 11:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Can you open the address book by double clicking on it? Does it have a .WAB
file extension? Are there any entries in the Shared Contacts folder? Do
you perchance also have Outlook (from Microsoft Office) installed on your
computer?

Normally, only those entries that are found in the Shared Contacts folder
can be exported/imported. See Tom Koch's website for more info about
Address Books:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail

ups.com...

Old July 22nd 06, 11:47 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Jim,

I'm sorry for my "who's on first" confusion about this post. I think
the newsgroup reader cross-posted without my noticing it--my deepest
apologies.

Let's try getting to the substance:

I can open the address book by double clicking.

Yes, it has a .WAB extension.

The list was under "Main Identity's Contacts." I tried dragging it to
"Shared Contacts" and exporting; now I get an "error exporting Address
Book message" when I click the "Finish" button, which I wasn't getting
before.

I have Outlook on my computer but haven't installed it. (I normally use
Thunderbird.)

Thanks enormously,

Tom

Jim Pickering wrote:
Can you open the address book by double clicking on it? Does it have a .WAB
file extension? Are there any entries in the Shared Contacts folder? Do
you perchance also have Outlook (from Microsoft Office) installed on your
computer?

Normally, only those entries that are found in the Shared Contacts folder
can be exported/imported. See Tom Koch's website for more info about
Address Books:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

ups.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

If you open it by double clicking, can you copy/paste the entries from the
Folder they are in to the Shared Contacts folder? If so, then your export
as a CSV file should work. Don't try dragging the info anywhere, instead
highlight all the entries in the Folder (Ctrl+A), then copy them to the
clipboard (Ctrl+C), then go to the Shared Contacts folder and paste them all
in (Ctrl+V). You will have to OK each entry, but it beats typing them all
in. Then export it.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

oups.com...

Jim Pickering wrote:
Can you open the address book by double clicking on it? Does it have a
.WAB
file extension? Are there any entries in the Shared Contacts folder? Do
you perchance also have Outlook (from Microsoft Office) installed on your
computer?

Normally, only those entries that are found in the Shared Contacts folder
can be exported/imported. See Tom Koch's website for more info about
Address Books:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

ups.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 01:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Jim,

I'm sorry, but I don't follow this.

You do mean double clicking on the folder from within OE, right? The
mailing list exists as a group ("Oasis") in the Shared Contacts folder.
I can see the names but can't copy/paste.

As I said previously, I dragged my list into the Shared Contacts
folder, which is where it now resides--and I can't seem to move it from
there. I can double click on the file and open it, and I can see all
the names in the window that pops up, but I can't ctl+A to select them
all.

Oy.

Tom

Jim Pickering wrote:
Can you open the address book by double clicking on it? Does it have a
.WAB
file extension? Are there any entries in the Shared Contacts folder? Do
you perchance also have Outlook (from Microsoft Office) installed on your
computer?

Normally, only those entries that are found in the Shared Contacts folder
can be exported/imported. See Tom Koch's website for more info about
Address Books:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

ups.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

When I export addresses from IE6 (SP1 on W2K), I get the current
identity's entries, not those from Shared Contacts. Does this vary from
one version of IE to another, or are there different methods that produce
different results?

Jim Pickering wrote:
Can you open the address book by double clicking on it? Does it have a .WAB
file extension? Are there any entries in the Shared Contacts folder? Do
you perchance also have Outlook (from Microsoft Office) installed on your
computer?

Normally, only those entries that are found in the Shared Contacts folder
can be exported/imported. See Tom Koch's website for more info about
Address Books:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio
Old July 23rd 06, 02:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim,

I'm sorry, but I don't follow this.

You do mean double clicking on the folder from within OE, right? The
mailing list exists as a group ("Oasis") in the Shared Contacts folder.
I can see the names but can't copy/paste.

No. By double clicking the WAB file.
or go to Start | Run and type
wab /all

You have to select an contact and then press Ctrl-A.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old July 23rd 06, 02:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

That depends on *how* you open the address book. Using Start/Run and typing
WAB /a lets you see all entries w/o regard to identities. See this link for
mo

Old July 23rd 06, 03:31 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Frank,

Thanks for trying.

I did this. I just get the same window that I get from inside OE, and
when I click on the list name, it opens up and shows me the members
(arranged in small columns), but ctl-A does not work. I can select the
addresses by clicking and shift-clicking, but when I ctl-C, it doesn't
give me anything.

It's incredibly frustrating. I can *see* all the members when I open
the list, but I can't *do* anything with them (except, of course, email
them from OE, which is exactly not what I want to do.

Tom

Old July 23rd 06, 03:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Click on the first address to highlight it. Scroll down to the last address.
Press and hold the Shift key and then click on the last adderss. This should
highlight them all.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express