Outlook Express 6 address book won't export

Old July 23rd 06, 06:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Default Outlook Express 6 address book won't export

View Folders and Groups is checked. Yes, I created this address book.
Yes, I have read the info. Nothing seems to apply.

Jim Pickering wrote:
On the Address Book menu, have you clicked View/Folders and Groups? Folders
and Groups are normally "keyed" to a specific identity and are now viewable
by other identities. Is this an address book you created? Or one from some
other individual? Have you read any of the info at the link I originally
posted? If not, please start at this link:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm

--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail

wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim,

Thanks, again. There is no folder I wish to copy. There is a group with
307 addresses in it. It is listed under Shared Contacts as one item.
The only way I can access any of the addresses is to double click on
the item, i.e., the group name, to show the properties window.

Does that help?

Tom

Jim Pickering wrote:
First thing is ignore Outlook Express. Just go ahead and shut it down.
Now
double click the problem WAB file. Open the folder you wish to copy and
highlight one entry in the right hand pane, then press Ctrl+A, followed
by
Control+C. Now go to the Shared Contacts and click once in the blank
right
hand pane, then press Ctrl+V to paste the entries in. Press Ok to allow
each entry to be copied or just hold down the Enter key until it
finishes.
Then again, using the Address Book menu, click File/Export/Other Address
Book/Text(CSV) or similar language (all my machines right now are
runnning
Vista for some networking testing so I can be more specific), then you
should have a popup asking for the filename and location to save it.
Give
it a name and save it. You can then use that CSV file to import into any
other address book.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Bruce,

If only I could. I'm copying out of the list's Properties window, which
is modal and doesn't seem to be actually copying to the Windows
clipboard, if anywhere.

Tom

Bruce Hagen wrote:
After you copy, open Notepad and Paste. Go from there.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

wrote in message
ups.com...
Bruce,

Good suggestion.

Here's what Jim says:

"Don't try dragging the info anywhere, instead
highlight all the entries in the Folder (Ctrl+A), then copy them to
the
clipboard (Ctrl+C), then go to the Shared Contacts folder and paste
them all
in (Ctrl+V). You will have to OK each entry, but it beats typing
them
all
in. Then export it."

Well, Shared Contacts doesn't show as a folder; it shows as a little
open book icon. And there's nowhere to paste anything. I tried
clicking
in the list of names, which contains my list name and nothing
else--i.e., no individual contacts.

And a weird thing: I searched by computer with a file find program
and
it found a *shortcut* to a non-existent Excel .csv file that had
supposedly been created half an hour earlier--when I had supposedly
exported my list--but neither it nor Windows could find the file.

Tom

Bruce Hagen wrote:
After everything is highlighted, Right click | Copy. After that, I
*believe*
you should follow Jim Pickering's advice in his second reply.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you, Bruce. Yes, I did that, and I pressed ctl-C, but
assuming
that anything has been copied, where do I paste it?

Thanks,

Tom

Bruce Hagen wrote:
Click on the first address to highlight it. Scroll down to the
last
address.
Press and hold the Shift key and then click on the last adderss.
This
should
highlight them all.
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

wrote in message
oups.com...
Frank,

Thanks for trying.

I did this. I just get the same window that I get from inside
OE,
and
when I click on the list name, it opens up and shows me the
members
(arranged in small columns), but ctl-A does not work. I can
select
the
addresses by clicking and shift-clicking, but when I ctl-C, it
doesn't
give me anything.

It's incredibly frustrating. I can *see* all the members when
open
the list, but I can't *do* anything with them (except, of
course,
email
them from OE, which is exactly not what I want to do.

Tom

Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Jim,

I'm sorry, but I don't follow this.

You do mean double clicking on the folder from within OE,
right?
The
mailing list exists as a group ("Oasis") in the Shared
Contacts
folder.
I can see the names but can't copy/paste.

No. By double clicking the WAB file.
or go to Start | Run and type
wab /all

You have to select an contact and then press Ctrl-A.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old July 23rd 06, 06:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Then I'm stumped. Let me think about it overnight and see if I can get an
XP box up and running and play with a couple of WAB files. I've not heard
of anyone having such problems. Check back later tomorrow.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

ps.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 06:39 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Jim, I really appreciate this. I'm a ways on the other side of stumped,
and I'm amazed at you guys sticking with it. Anything you can do at all

Tom

Jim Pickering wrote:
Then I'm stumped. Let me think about it overnight and see if I can get an
XP box up and running and play with a couple of WAB files. I've not heard
of anyone having such problems. Check back later tomorrow.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

ps.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 08:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Well, I'm still stumpted since I've tried to replicate the problem on a XP
box w/o success. The only potential other problem that came to mind was if
you were accessing this WAB file from a CD or some other type of stored
media, rather than having it physically present on your hard drive. If so,
that would explain why you cannot move the file information, e.g., all files
on a CD and certain other media are usually marked "Read-Only" when they are
created and you must copy the file to a location on your hard drive, then
right click it selecting Properties and clear the Read-Only attribute. Good
luck and I'm still trying to see if anyone else is having a similar problem.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail

ups.com...

Jim Pickering wrote:
Then I'm stumped. Let me think about it overnight and see if I can get
an
XP box up and running and play with a couple of WAB files. I've not
heard
of anyone having such problems. Check back later tomorrow.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

ps.com...

Old July 23rd 06, 09:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

Jim,

It's on my hard drive ho hum, and I think maybe I'm just screwed on
this one.

If you come up with anything, please let me know.

Tom

Jim Pickering wrote:
Well, I'm still stumpted since I've tried to replicate the problem on a XP
box w/o success. The only potential other problem that came to mind was if
you were accessing this WAB file from a CD or some other type of stored
media, rather than having it physically present on your hard drive. If so,
that would explain why you cannot move the file information, e.g., all files
on a CD and certain other media are usually marked "Read-Only" when they are
created and you must copy the file to a location on your hard drive, then
right click it selecting Properties and clear the Read-Only attribute. Good
luck and I'm still trying to see if anyone else is having a similar problem.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail

ups.com...

Jim Pickering wrote:
Then I'm stumped. Let me think about it overnight and see if I can get
an
XP box up and running and play with a couple of WAB files. I've not
heard
of anyone having such problems. Check back later tomorrow.
--
Jim Pickering
MVP-Outlook Express/Windows Mail
Please reply to newsgroup only so that others may be helped with your
feedback.

ps.com...

Old July 25th 06, 04:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

I was talking about exporting from within IE (File Export Address Book
Text File ...). That always seems to get the current identiity's

entries. Typing "wab /a" from Start Run and then exporting gets
everything, mixed together. Typeing just "wab" and then exporting gets
the current identity's entries, just like doing it from within IE.
Nothing I've tried produces only the Shared Contacts entries as you
previously described.

Jim Pickering wrote:
That depends on *how* you open the address book. Using Start/Run and typing
WAB /a lets you see all entries w/o regard to identities. See this link for
mo
http://www.insideoe.com/files/wab.htm

"Gary Smith" wrote in message
When I export addresses from IE6 (SP1 on W2K), I get the current
identity's entries, not those from Shared Contacts. Does this vary from
one version of IE to another, or are there different methods that

produce
different results?

--
Gary L. Smith
Columbus, Ohio
Old July 25th 06, 04:52 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

Want to run that past me again? Using Internet Explorer to export? Sure,
for favorites, cookies and with IE7, RSS feeds, but I don't remember a
choice to export an Address Book. If you want to get a copy of all contacts
in Folders and Groups, you must make sure they also appear in the Shared
Contacts folder. That suggests you did not bother to read the info at the
link I posted earlier:

Old July 25th 06, 05:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Gary Smith

Sorry, I meant OE rather than IE. Sometimes my fingers don't type what
I'm thinking -- and now I think I see what I missed before. You were
talking about contacts within folder and groups, as distinct from
ungrouped contacts, right? I don't use folders or groups, so I wasn't
able to detect any behavior specific to them. I did read the page you
referenced, but saw nothing related to export there.

Old July 25th 06, 05:49 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

OK, just a simple misunderstanding. Folders and Group neither export nor
import unless they are also in the Shared Contacts folder. For users with
several identities who get new computers and want all the contacts they had
before don't really understand why their folder and groups, keyed to
specific identities, do not export nor import for them. Thanks for the
feedback.
--
Jim Pickering