OE6, Verizon Email and Telnet

Old July 7th 06, 06:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
drgeek

Default OE6, Verizon Email and Telnet

Jim and fellow OE6 Experts,

Sorry to intrude - but I've been trying to troubleshoot OE6
connectivity to my wife's Verizon account and found your name and the
'Telnet' troubleshooting technique from past posts.

Here's the problem - As of a week ago - my wife has been unable to
receive - pull - her email from incoming.verizon.net.

Here's the classic error message:
Task 'incoming.verizon.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) :
'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and
password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail
accounts. The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed'

I've tried the Telnet login and I CAN"T telnet in under her account -
but I can telnet with my account. When I telnet here are the messages
I receive for her failure and my success:

Wife's Account - Fail:
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaqtelnet incoming.verizon.net 110

+OK Messaging Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server
6.2-4.02 (built
Sep 9 2005))

+OK Messaging Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server
6.2-4.02 (built
Sep 9 2005))
user bhchurch
+OK password required for user
pass xxxxxx-ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed

My account - Success
C:\Documents and Settings\Compaqtelnet incoming.verizon.net 110

+OK Messaging Multiplexor (Sun Java(tm) System Messaging Server
6.2-4.02 (built
Sep 9 2005))
user lvdileva
+OK password required for user

pass xxxxxx
+OK Maildrop ready

I've have contacted Verizon 9 times in the past week and all the
assistance I get from them is rechecking out OE6 settings - which are
correct - and the 'can' answer we can't support OE6 - contact Microsoft
- And use our Website (Verizon) for email - which of course - she can
login to just fine!

I have tired everything in the Newsgroup - turned off anti-virus,
delete the inbox.dbx file, changed password, etc, etc, etc.

If I CAN'T telnet in to incoming.verizon.net with her account and I CAN
telnet and my OE6 account connects - does that mean that OE6 is OK -
and that something is wrong on Verizon's side?

Also, I have tried her account on three other PC's with OE6 and get the
same error message!

Any help or information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time!!! Les DiLeva
email
and

Old July 7th 06, 10:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
N. Miller

On 6 Jul 2006 22:29:53 -0700, drgeek wrote:

Sorry to intrude - but I've been trying to troubleshoot OE6
connectivity to my wife's Verizon account and found your name and the
'Telnet' troubleshooting technique from past posts.

Here's the problem - As of a week ago - my wife has been unable to
receive - pull - her email from incoming.verizon.net.

Here's the classic error message:
Task 'incoming.verizon.net - Receiving' reported error (0x800CCC92) :
'Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and
password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail
accounts. The server responded: -ERR [AUTH] Authentication failed'

I've tried the Telnet login and I CAN"T telnet in under her account -
but I can telnet with my account...

Both Telnet _and_ MS Outlook Express allow a successful login for one
user. Both fail for another user. Can't Verizon support reset the
password on the account which fails?

--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
Old July 7th 06, 02:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Steve Cochran

The obvious conclusion would be you are using the wrong logon and password
when telnetting and in OE, but are using the correct one for the webmail. I
would triple check that. If you are sure you are using the correct
credentials, then its something on Verizon's side and I would suggest you
try what Norman suggested and ask them to reset the account and start over
with a verified (and written down) username and password, and when you do
that, verify it works before hanging up the phone with them.

steve

oups.com...

Old July 7th 06, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
drgeek

I've tried it all guy's - yes - I have changed the password - mutiliple
times with Verizon on line - and yes - I've double-triple checked while
logging into OE6 and Telnetting. It's really crazy - I'm 100% sure I
have the right username and password everytime I've tried.

Verizon is soooo unhelpful - all they keep telling me is that If I can
log into their web site - Verizon Central fine which I can with my
wife's account - then there is no problem.

They do not wnat to hear that I can't telnet or get in with OE6. It's
really frustrating - I've got 15 plus years of IT desktop, server and
network experience - it's really frustrating when your on the other
side of the fence and they won't ever spend time to level 3 my problem
to see why my wife's account is not Authenticating.

Thanks - let me know if anyone has any other ideas. -Les

Old July 8th 06, 12:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Santovec

That Telnet and OE give the same error message means that the problem is
not in OE.

That you can use OE and Telnet for your account and that it fails on
other PCs for your wife's account pretty much eliminates any possibility
of anything on your end screwing things up (Anti-virus, anti-spam,
firewall, other security software.)

That points to the problem on being on the server end.

That web access works for her account proves that the account is at
least functional. But web access uses a different low level interface
to the mail server than POP3 access. It's possible, but rare, for one
to work and the other to fail for an account.

But the bottom line is that only Verizon can fix the problem for the
account on their end.

oups.com...

:

Old July 8th 06, 12:48 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Jennings

Try posting in verizon news, instead of Google groups.
In order to do that, you have to look up their settings,
and maybe this link will work if you copy it and paste
it in your browser's address window:
It ought to pop up the group in Outlook Express.

Usually there is a telco-savvy geek eyeing it - you could
get your problem cleared up. It's not a public group.

"drgeek" wrote in message oups.com...
I've tried it all guy's - yes - I have changed the password - mutiliple
times with Verizon on line - and yes - I've double-triple checked while
logging into OE6 and Telnetting. It's really crazy - I'm 100% sure I
have the right username and password everytime I've tried.

snip

Old July 8th 06, 05:46 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
drgeek

Gentlemen,

THANKS for the time and information - I will visit the verizon
newsgroup you have listed and see if I can get my problem resolved.

Thanks again for taking the time to assist! -Les D.

Old July 8th 06, 06:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Michael Jennings

Think nothing of it - good luck with your struggle! I found that Verizon
was willing to correct certain things when rightly approached. Finding
out how to contact who took time and determination.