outlook express hangs following receipt of recent email

Old May 21st 06, 02:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Allison

Default outlook express hangs following receipt of recent email

hi

outlook express hangs after one procedure ie looking at one email..... then
computer needs to be rebooted to look at the next one...

I have recently received an email which may be the cause... as the problem
occurred immediately after it came in.

I can't delete this email because as soon as the email is highlighted the
programme hangs. I have tried turning off the preview pane and right clicking
and deleting it with no effect.

It has an attachment. I know the person who sent it and he runs anti virus
software on incoming and outgoing emails.

We run norton 2006. We have tried to scan email files for virus using this
and something from Panda we found on the internet and also one from microsoft
beta version... all of these fail to find any virus.

PLEASE tell me how to delete it, and how to cure the problem?

thanks
allison
Old May 21st 06, 03:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias

Allison wrote:
[...]

First, disable Norton's email checker and leave it disabled forever. It
offers no additional protection and can cause problems like this. Then
see if you can nuke the message. If not, try it in Safe Mode. Once
you've nuked it, if you store any messages in Sent Items, Inbox or
Deleted Items, move them to user created sub folders to Local Folders.
Then click on Outlook Express at the top of the folder tree and go to
File/Work Offline. Go back to File/Folders/Compact all folders and do
nothing with your mouse or keyboard until it's finished.

Alias
Old May 21st 06, 03:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Kuay Tim

Hi Allison,

Just to add to what alias has said, it is possible to delete the (*.dbx)
file for the folder in the OE message store folder. This will delete the
problem message. Default folders will be recreated when OE starts. All other
messages in the problem folder could first be moved to a user created local
folder for temporary storage and then moved back to the new empty folder.

Close Outlook Express before deleting or renaming a file in the message
store folder. Deleting a *.dbx file for a folder will result in the loss of
all messages still in the folder.

Instead of using search the store folder can be opened directly. Each
identity has its own store folder.

a.. In Outlook Express click on Tools, Options, Maintenance tab...Store
Folder.
b.. Place the cursor at the left of the text of the path to the folder.
c.. Drag the cursor to the right until the text scrolls to the end.
d.. Right-click on the text and choose Copy.
e.. In the Start, Run box right-click Paste. Click OK to open the store
folder.
f.. Close Outlook Express before working with the message store files.

Using Keyboard Shortcuts for Transfer of the Folder Path
Courtesy of: Jim Pickering, MVP-Outlook Express

An even easier method when opening that page is to use the Tab to
highlight the folder location, then Ctrl+C and close OE, then use Start/Run
and Ctrl+V. Same caveat about hidden files applies but can be easily
modified in Explorer by using Tools/Folder Options.

Note that *.dbx files are normally hidden in Win XP and 2000. It may be
necessary to change the setting under the folder View menu to show hidden
files.

--
Tim K.
aka Kuay Tim

Old May 21st 06, 04:45 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/WM

"Allison" wrote in message
[...]

First, turn off Norton's email scanning. It provides no added protection
and can cause problems.

Then click View | Layout and turn off the Preview Pane. You should now be
able to delete the message. You should also be able to delete it from the
mail server's Web interface.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, OE/WM
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Old May 21st 06, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
DanR

Just be sure you don't use a command such as del *.dbx as all your folders
will go away. If the problem message is in your inbox... after moving all
messages you want to save to a user created folder... you can then delete
inbox.dbx. As mentioned, it will be recreated when you re-start OE.
If this scares you... you can rename inbox.dbx to something like
inbox_old.dbx.