How do I stop 'Would u like to Compact' messages

Old April 25th 06, 11:15 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mikey

Default How do I stop 'Would u like to Compact' messages

Almost every time I close OE6 it asks if I would like to compact messages.
Sometimes I do this, but I don't need asking every time. Is there some way
to stop this message? It only seems to happen since downloading XP/SP2.
Thanx
Mikey

Old April 25th 06, 11:38 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias

--

If you don't let it do its thing, you are asking for it and you will
lose all your messages one day. I hope you have OE backed up if any of

You can stop it by downloading and using OE Tool. It resets the counter
every time you use it to zero. You can get it at:

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/Default.aspx

Alias
Old April 25th 06, 12:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Ron Sommer

"Alias" wrote in message
mikey wrote:
Almost every time I close OE6 it asks if I would like to compact
messages. Sometimes I do this, but I don't need asking every time. Is
there some way to stop this message? It only seems to happen since
downloading XP/SP2.
Thanx
Mikey
--

If you don't let it do its thing, you are asking for it and you will lose
all your messages one day. I hope you have OE backed up if any of your
messages are valuable to you. This new "feature" will pop up every 100
times you close OE

You can stop it by downloading and using OE Tool. It resets the counter
every time you use it to zero. You can get it at:

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/Default.aspx

Alias

Also, when OE is compacting, do not do anything else with the computer.
--
Ron Sommer

Old April 25th 06, 02:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
mikey

| Also, when OE is compacting, do not do anything else with the computer.
| --
| Ron Sommer

When it's compacting, it's impossible to do anything else with the computer
! -- it seems to take all of the processor up.

Also after it's done the entire pc works at a snail's pace until I reboot.
It seems to do more harm than good. What's the point of it?

Mikey

Old April 25th 06, 02:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias

mikey wrote:
| Also, when OE is compacting, do not do anything else with the computer.
| --
| Ron Sommer

When it's compacting, it's impossible to do anything else with the computer
! -- it seems to take all of the processor up.

Also after it's done the entire pc works at a snail's pace until I reboot.
It seems to do more harm than good. What's the point of it?

Mikey
--

How large are your .DBX files? Note that .DBX files are hidden in XP and
Windows 2000. None should be larger than 100MB and you should NOT store

Also, do you have some kind of anti virus checking email or an anti spam
program hooked up to Outlook Express?

Alias
Old April 25th 06, 02:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
antioch

Hello Mikey
Same here, but in the last 9 months this last weekend, was the first time
this window has appeared. I keep all folders to no more than 5 or 6
messages. I save those I want to keep in My Docs. so there was no way I
needed any space.
Coincidence or not, this has not see this compacting message since I deleted
that last lot of problem updates, which included KB 911567, the one for
Outlook Express??????
If it starts again, I will try Alias's suggestion.
Rgds
Antioch

Old April 25th 06, 03:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Compacting your folders periodically is a must to keep OE functioning well
and at some point, you may lose all your saved messages if you don't. When
you delete messages, they are only marked for deletion and the space they
had used, remains until you compact, or the space is eventually overwritten.
See:
www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#2

With SP2, automatic background compacting was removed due to problems it
caused. Now you will get a prompt to compact after 100 OE closings, which
you should do and don't touch anything until it has finished. See this for
more information:
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact

If compacting takes a long time, you aren't doing it often enough.

To keep things running smooth, and for faster compacting:

Do not archive mail in default OE folders. They will eventually become
corrupt and you may lose mail. Create your own user defined folders for
storing mail and move your mail to them. Empty Deleted Items folder
regularly. Keep user created folders under 100MB, and Default folders as
empty as is feasible.

And this is a very good option:

Steve Cochran has added a button in his new version of OE Tool that will not
only Compact All Folders, but at the same time, resets the "Compact Check
Count" to zero whenever you compact manually. You will see the prompt again
if you do not compact before 100 closings.

http://www.oehelp.com/OETool/

You should still check: Work Offline before you compact.

And backup often.

Backup and Resto

http://www.insideoutlookexpress.com/backup/

http://www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx

Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express
~IB-CA~

Old April 25th 06, 03:28 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias

antioch wrote:
Hello Mikey
Same here, but in the last 9 months this last weekend, was the first time
this window has appeared. I keep all folders to no more than 5 or 6
messages. I save those I want to keep in My Docs. so there was no way I
needed any space.
Coincidence or not, this has not see this compacting message since I deleted
that last lot of problem updates, which included KB 911567, the one for
Outlook Express??????
If it starts again, I will try Alias's suggestion.
Rgds
Antioch

If you have checked "Do not show this again", it will compact your
messages every 100 closings and you won't be aware of it unless you shut
down your computer or do something to interrupt the process and then you
will lose all your messages.

I would download and install the OE Tool just to be on the safe side.

Alias

Old April 25th 06, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

FYI: OP has KB911567 installed. This update restored the prompt if it was
disabled and there it no more box to check. About the only good thing this
patch did. g
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

Old April 25th 06, 03:58 PM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Alias

Bruce Hagen wrote:
FYI: OP has KB911567 installed. This update restored the prompt if it
was disabled and there it no more box to check. About the only good
thing this patch did. g

I would still install OE Tool. For example, sometimes a program will
crash and freeze the computer. If you reboot and it's the 100th time and
OE is open, disaster time for your messages. Or, the lights go off,
leading to the same scenario. It would have been nice if the update had
eliminated this "feature".

Alias