I cannot open Outlook Express

Old April 21st 06, 01:55 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Susanne

Default I cannot open Outlook Express

Hello,
I'm having a real problem here. After an automatic update of some kind,
when I opened Outllook Exress, it said that my adress book had been
corrupted and it would try to restore it. Apparently it failed, because
Outlook Express was not functioning at all. So I read some of the
postings on this group and tried several of the suggestions, including
doing a repair of Windows XP -- THREE TIMES! No good. I've been
fiddling around trying dfferent ineffecual things, but still no good.
Now Outlook Express won't open at all. I just get the "Outlook Express
has encountered a problem and needs to close" message. The error report
contains the following information:
AppName: msimn.ede
AppVer: 6.0.2800.1123
ModName: wab32.dll
ModVer: 6.0.2800.1106
Offset: 0000c057
This is causing me considerable difficulties, as I am currently
promoting a newly published book through our website, and cannot do any
emailings at all. Everything's come to a screeching halt.
I'm not very technically advanced with the computer, but I cannot
afford to pay Microsoft their telephone support fee, so I need to be
able to fix this myself.
Hopefully,
Susanne

Old April 21st 06, 02:01 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Bruce Hagen

Your problem may be caused by the update KB911567 introduced on 4/11/06. Try
removing it as per this link and see if the problem persists:
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#14

If that resolves it, for now, you may want to configure Automatic Updates to
either "Notify Only" or "Download but do not install". You can also choose
not to download or install 911567 and check: Do not tell me about it again.

How to configure and use Automatic Updates in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=306525
--
Bruce Hagen
MS MVP - Outlook Express

ups.com...

Old April 21st 06, 02:02 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
[email protected]

I am having the same/similar situation here for 4 days now. Only
tonight
I confirmed where it is comimg from. I am computer savy too but I
could
not fix the address book fail to load problem. But restoring XP fixed
the
problem. then it would fail again AFTER the automatic update..
Has anyone else found this problem? ANd what is the real fix?

Old April 21st 06, 03:37 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Jim Pickering

wrote in message
oups.com...
Has anyone else found this problem? ANd what is the real fix?

The only real fix is to modify your system not to reinstall the update
again, until MS advises that they have "fixed" it. You can right click the
My Computer icon on your Desktop, select Properties and then click the
Automatic Updates tab and set it to Notify you but not install updates.
That way you can review and approve the updates by clicking on a Custom
install when the prompt appears.
--
Jim Pickering, MVP, Outlook Express
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/pr...8-1171988A62D6

Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Microsoft Product Support Services at 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for
support calls that are associated with security updates

Old April 21st 06, 08:27 AM posted to microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress
Susanne

Hooray! I removed Security Update KB911567, and then did a repair of
Windows XP. That did it. Outlook Express is working fine. And I made
sure there will be no more automatic security updates. With "security
updates" like that, who needs viruses?
Many Thanks!
Susanne