Outlook 2003, iCalendar, different folder

Old November 17th 09, 06:23 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
David Trimboli

Default Outlook 2003, iCalendar, different folder

I have an iCalendar file that I want to import into an existing Outlook
2003 profile. However, I don't want to merge the appointments with the
existing calendar; I want to create a separate calendar folder and
import the iCalendar file into that.
It seems that Outlook can only import iCalendar files into the
default calendar folder. I could copy the default calendar into a
temporary folder, delete the default calendar's appointments, import the
iCalendar file, copy the imported calendar to a new calendar folder,
delete the default calendar's appointments, copy the temporary calendar
folder's appointments back to the default calendar, and finally delete
the temporary calendar folder entirely. However, I don't know how to
empty a calendar folder of its appointments.
--
David Trimboli
Windows Systems Analyst
Old November 17th 09, 06:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"David Trimboli" wrote in message

I have an iCalendar file that I want to import into an existing Outlook 2003
profile. However, I don't want to merge the appointments with the existing
calendar; I want to create a separate calendar folder and import the
iCalendar file into that.

Create the calendar. Then double-click the ics file and click FileMove to
Folder. Specify the second folder.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old November 17th 09, 07:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
David Trimboli

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
"David Trimboli" wrote in message

I have an iCalendar file that I want to import into an existing
Outlook 2003 profile. However, I don't want to merge the appointments
with the existing calendar; I want to create a separate calendar
folder and import the iCalendar file into that.

Create the calendar. Then double-click the ics file and click FileMove
to Folder. Specify the second folder.

This just opens the first appointment and moves it to the new calendar.
It doesn't move any other appointments.

I have found a way to delete all the appointments in a calendar:
right-click on the calendar, click Advanced Find, then click Find Now.
This lists all the appointments in the calendar, which I can select and
delete. I can thus go forward with my cumbersome appointment-swapping
plan—though being able to directly import to an alternate folder would
be preferable. I have just learned that the user may be asked to do this
on a monthly basis, and I know she can't figure out how to do it herself.

Old November 18th 09, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"David Trimboli" wrote in message

This just opens the first appointment and moves it to the new calendar. It
doesn't move any other appointments.

There are third-party tool that can import a multi-event ics. Start he
http://www.slipstick.com/addins/calendar.asp

I have found a way to delete all the appointments in a calendar: right-click
on the calendar, click Advanced Find, then click Find Now. This lists all
the appointments in the calendar, which I can select and delete.

Just display your calendar in a table view like By Category or Events. Press
Ctrl+A, then press or click Delete. What I'd do is create another, temporary
calendar folder, move the contents of the default calendar to that folder,
import the ics, move the contents to the calendar where I want the ics date,
then move the contents of the temporary folder back to the default calendar.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old November 18th 09, 09:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
David Trimboli

Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook] wrote:
"David Trimboli" wrote in message

This just opens the first appointment and moves it to the new
calendar. It doesn't move any other appointments.

There are third-party tool that can import a multi-event ics. Start
he http://www.slipstick.com/addins/calendar.asp

It looks like SyncWiz will do what I want.

I have found a way to delete all the appointments in a calendar:
right-click on the calendar, click Advanced Find, then click Find Now.
This lists all the appointments in the calendar, which I can select
and delete.

Just display your calendar in a table view like By Category or Events.
Press Ctrl+A, then press or click Delete. What I'd do is create
another, temporary calendar folder, move the contents of the default
calendar to that folder, import the ics, move the contents to the
calendar where I want the ics date, then move the contents of the
temporary folder back to the default calendar.

Thanks for the tip. I see how it works now.