(+8 GMT) Perth time zone in outlook 2007: why doesn't it work?

Old October 29th 07, 07:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Alastair

Default (+8 GMT) Perth time zone in outlook 2007: why doesn't it work?

Hi,

I have been having problems with the Perth time zone in outlook for some
time now. Like some of the other people posting here every time I opened
outlook I got a message wanting to move appointments, and since there didn't
seem to be an easy fix I simply ran my computer in the +8 Beijing time zone.

Since we have now gone into Daylight savings, and Microsoft validation
didn't like my clock being inaccurate, I changed back to the Perth Time zone,
but it doesn't seem to work.

When I use the 'change time zone' feature on my calendar folders, every item
that it tried to move comes up as failed.

So I tried manually adjusting the time zones on each appointment. When I
attempt to change the time zone, I have to change both the start and finish
time zone (but for every other time zone, changing just the start time zone
will automatically changes the finish time zone also.

Then when I attempt to save the appointment with the new settings, sometimes
it won't save, i.e. it doesn't move on the calendar, and when I reopen the
appointment the time zone is still set to the old setting.

If I change the time zone, and adjust the start time back one hour, it will
then save, and when reopened shows no time zone.

I am using a new vista home basic laptop, running Outlook 2007.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is it possible to actually contact Microsoft about issues such as
this, because they don't appear to have any sort of contact details, and I
wonder if Microsoft is even aware that their Perth time zone patch doesn't
work.

kind regards,

Alastair
Old October 29th 07, 12:11 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

have you verified this is installed?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931836

there is a hotfix for outlook - it should only be used if problems are
observed subsequent to installation of the Windows operating system update.
I'm not sure this affects you - it's
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937903

Did you install the latest tzmover utility or use the one built into
Outlook? MS recommends using the newest one....
http://www.slipstick.com/emo/2007/up070201.htm#oltz has a link to it.

Finally, did you have appointments that needed changed? The utility
sometimes reported false positives and the 'fix' was to create a regkey to
stop the tzmover from coming up.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

Old October 29th 07, 12:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Alastair

thanks for the prompt reply,

I have already tried the fixes you suggested, and they didn't seem to work.

Windows update tells me that there are no other updates at this time, yet
still I can't set appointments to the Perth time zone. Though I have manually
managed save each appointment so that it shows up as the correct time,
however the time zone box is blank when I go into the appointment.

regards,

Alastair
Old October 29th 07, 01:55 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

did you verify in the registry that the tz update is installed?

look for the key under
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Time Zones

the key should have subkey called Dynamic DST

BTW - the correct KB is http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933360/ (the other
one links to this).

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

news

Old October 31st 07, 05:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Alastair

Thanks,

in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Cu rrentVersion\Time Zones\W.
Australia Standard Time

there is a subkey called Dynamic DST

In relation to kb/933360/ I had realised that the one you gave previously
linked to this one, and this is the one that I have installed.

However, I am still not able to set appointments in outlook to the Pert time
zone

regards,

Alastair