OL2002 Calendar keeps opening to wrong month

Old February 14th 06, 02:37 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Overwhelmed-MT

Default OL2002 Calendar keeps opening to wrong month

Outlook 2002 is set to start up when my computer starts (in the startup
folder). It opens to the correct date, then checks the Internet (for some
reason), then 15 secs. or so later the view goes back to a previous month and
(7-day) week. Right now it goes back to the week of Oct. 24, 2005. The
display I've chosen is a 7-day week with the date navigator. I'm running
Office XP (SP3), XP-Pro and the computer date and time are correct.

Now, if I close Outlook, and then restart it later on, it opens to the
correct date and does not check the Internet. Then if I close it and restart
the computer, it opens to the incorrect date and checks the Internet again.

I don't understand why it is checking the internet (broadband connection) on
restart. Under Tools-Options-Mail Setup-Send/Receive, Send immediately when
connected box is not checked. In Tools-Send/Receive Settings-Define
Send/Receive groups, Schedule automatic send receive every ... is not
checked. I have also checked Disable Automatic Send/Receive under
Tools-Send/Receive Settings.

The first time I noticed this was back in January and then I read the posts
in around the end of that month about incorrect dates. I don't recall this
ever happening to me prior to 2006. What am I missing?
Old February 14th 06, 02:44 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Overwhelmed-MT

I forgot to add that if I don't check Disable Automatic Send/Receive, it
automatically downloads any email whether I want it to or not. I don't want
it to do that every time the computer starts up. I prefer to go to my ISP's
web mail and delete the junk first and then download any messages with
Outlook that may be there.

Old February 14th 06, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman

Overwhelmed-MT wrote:

I forgot to add that if I don't check Disable Automatic
Send/Receive, it automatically downloads any email whether I want it
to or not. I don't want it to do that every time the computer starts
up.

Then in Outlook's Inbox, press CTRL-ALT-S and remove the option to perform
an automatic send/receive.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 14th 06, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Overwhelmed-MT

If I am being dense, I apologize in advance. When the Send/Receive box opens,
I have one group showing which is made up of one POP3 account. The only box
checked on that page is under "When Outlook is online:" Include this group in
Send/Receive (F9). No other boxes on the page are checked.

As I mentioned, if I make sure Disable Scheduled Send/Receive has a
checkmark by it in the Tools--Send/Receive Settings menu dropdown (even
though the box in the S/R groups for "Schedule an automatic send/receive
every XXX minutes" is not checked), it still checks for mail whenever Outlook
is started but does not download it. If I remove the checkmark from Disable
Scheduled Send/Receive in the dropdown menu and then restart Outlook, it
checks for mail and will download any mail there may be.

So I did some experimenting. It seems that if I check Work Offline, close
Outlook and restart (either just Outlook or the computer), then when Outlook
starts up, it won't go online to check and/or download mail regardless of
whether or not I have Disable Scheduled Send/Receive checked. I then changed
the settings in Define Send/Receive Groups, to unchecking anything under
“When Outlook is online” and under “When Outlook is offline” I checked
“Include this group in send/receive(F9).” So now the only time Outlook goes
online is when I want it to.

I think the key here was working online vs. offline. I’d always used online
as a matter of convenience and habit. I’d been using Outlook Express for so
long and this was never an issue with OE6. Not that many months ago I
switched to Outlook to take advantage of the features it has besides email.
So thank you so much for pointing in another direction.

I would rate your post as being helpful because it was, but I am afraid if I
do, then my original question about the calendar problem will not get
answered. Thanks again!

Old February 15th 06, 05:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Brian Tillman

Overwhelmed-MT wrote:

If I am being dense, I apologize in advance. When the Send/Receive
box opens, I have one group showing which is made up of one POP3
account. The only box checked on that page is under "When Outlook is
online:" Include this group in Send/Receive (F9). No other boxes on
the page are checked.

If neither of the "Schedule and automatic send/receive" boxes are checked,
then I can't imagine how Outlook can be performing a send/receive when you
start it because those boxes control that feature.

As I mentioned, if I make sure Disable Scheduled Send/Receive has a
checkmark by it in the Tools--Send/Receive Settings menu dropdown
(even though the box in the S/R groups for "Schedule an automatic
send/receive every XXX minutes" is not checked), it still checks for
mail whenever Outlook is started but does not download it.

What type of account are you using? Your followup to your original post
indicates that it's a POP account, but I wanted to ask.

I think the key here was working online vs. offline.

Well, if things are working the way you want, that's great. I wish I could
explain it.

I would rate your post as being helpful because it was, but I am
afraid if I do, then my original question about the calendar problem
will not get answered.

I can't reproduce the calendar problem and that's why I didn't address it.
Someone else may, and I hope they do. However, markig a post as helpful or
not won't affect anyone's ability to continue to see the original post and
won't mark it as finished in any way, so I don't think you need to worry.
--
Brian Tillman

Old February 15th 06, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Overwhelmed-MT

The offline/online seemed to solve it, so I'll leave it alone.

As for the calendar, as many times as I've had to restart this computer in
the last several days, I've noticed that it seems to alternate between
October and November. One time it starts the 3rd or 4th week of October,
another it may start the 1st or 2nd week of November. Strange...........

Thanks, though, for the input!