Appointments, Rules & Calendars

Old February 3rd 06, 07:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
John Schneider

Default Appointments, Rules & Calendars

I've been having a problem with disappearing appointments. I would get the
appointment in a message, accept it, but it would not show up on my calendar.
After pouring through the messages in this group, I realized that the
messages were going to folders in my PST file, based on the rules I have
setup. When I would accept an appointment from a message in the PST file,
the appointment went to the calendar in the PST file. Thanks to Sue, I found
a message explaining how to move (Import/Export) all of those appointments
from the PST file to my default mailbox/calendar, which is the one in which
reminders will go off.

Now the problem is how to make any future appointments show up in my default
calendar. I have Outlook (2003) setup to deliver mail to my default Inbox.
I also have about 25 rules which will move the messages to certain folders in
my PST file. This works nicely, keeping me from manually having to move
every message I receive. The problem is, as stated above, if I accept an
appointment from a folder in the PST file, that appointment will not show up
on the main calendar, and no reminder will go off. I've looked through the
rules, and there doesn't seem to be an exception like "don't move this item
if it contains an appointment". So now, if I get a message containing an
appointment that triggers a rule to move it to a PST folder, I will have to
manually move it back to the default Inbox, accept it, then manually move it
back to the PST folder.

Is there any way to accept an appointment from a folder in a PST file and
have that appointment show up in the main calendar, and not the calendar in
the PST file?

Thanks

Old February 5th 06, 01:21 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Nikki

Wow, I have never tried this and I'm not sure, but this is what I would
check if I was you:

Open your TOOLS menu
Select OPTIONS
Click the E-MAIL OPTIONS... button
Click the ADVANCED E-MAIL OPTIONS... button

Under SAVE MESSAGES on top there are 3 check box items. The
second one is "In folders other than the inbox, save replies with Original
Message"
You may check to see if this check is on. If it is, then try turning it off.

Nikki

Old February 6th 06, 10:08 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
John Schneider

Thanks for the reply Nikki, but I don't get it. First of all, I checked, and
the second check box was not checked. Secondly, I don't get the connection
between these options (for "Sent" items) and inbound appointments.

John

Old February 7th 06, 01:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
Nikki

Example:
- userA sends me a message.
- I move the message from userA to a folder called "userA mail".
- I reply to the message from userA
- The message will go to the "userA mail" folder (not the Sent folder)

Old February 7th 06, 03:09 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
John Schneider

Thanks again for the reply Nikki, but this just doesn't work. The checkbox
mentioned below is not checked. I've tried it both ways.

Again, the problem is that the appointment gets moved to a folder in the PST
file, based on a rule, when it arrives in my inbox. When I accept that
appointment, it is already in the PST file, so it posts to the calendar in
the PST, not the calendar in the main message store.

John

Old February 8th 06, 04:00 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.calendaring
John Schneider

All,

I did find a way to make this happen. There is a exception rule "except if
it is a meeting invitation or update". With that exception added to the
rule, the meeting/appointment will remain in the default inbox, and accepting
it will place it on the default calendar.

John