Old January 17th 08, 08:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH

Default How Long To Keep Completed Tasks?

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
they stay till autoarchive removes them. you can control this by
setting the archive option in tools, options, or by right clicking
on the folder, choose properties and change the archive settings.

Actually you have to set BOTH values. The global setting to enable
auto-archiving is like the master circuit breaker in your house that
regulates if electricity gets anywhere inside your home. The local
setting to enable auto-archiving for a folder is like a light switch
in a particular room that says the electricity gets in there. To turn
the light on in your room, you need both the master breaker and the
room switch turned on.

If you only have one of these enabled, auto-archiving will not occur
for that folder. If the global auto-archiving option (Tools -
Options - Advanced) is disabled then no folder will have any
auto-archiving performed on it. If the folder's own [local]
auto-archive function is disabled, auto-archiving might occur for
other folders but not for this one.

For auto-archiving to work on a particular folder, do BOTH of the
following:
- Enable the global auto-archive option.
- Enable the folder's auto-archive option.

As a side note, you should set the global auto-archiving interval to
the shortest auto-archive interval you configure for any folder, or to
a shorter value. If you set the global auto-archive option to run
every 30 days but have a folder's auto-archiving set for 5 days, items
will become *eligible* for archiving after they are 5 days old but
they won't actually get archived until the global archive function got
run after 30 days. That's why I set the global auto-archive interval
to 1 day because that is the shortest interval that can be configured
for any folder. I'm assured that the interval that I expect for a
folder will get obeyed.