How Long To Keep Completed Tasks?

Old January 17th 08, 04:24 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Candy

Default How Long To Keep Completed Tasks?

I want to know how long completed actions stay in your task list? Is there a
way to set this? Thanks.
Old January 17th 08, 04:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

they stay till autoarchive removes them. you can control this by setting the
archive option in tools, options, or by right clicking on the folder, choose
properties and change the archive settings.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

news

Old January 17th 08, 05:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Candy

Thanks for your answer. But, I think you need to be a bit more specific. I
am a very NEW user (yesterday) of Outlook (2007). Which task folder? It
exists in both personal folders and archive folders. That prompts another
question. How do you archive archive folders? What does that do?

Candy

Old January 17th 08, 09:50 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH

"Diane Poremsky" wrote in message
they stay till autoarchive removes them. you can control this by
setting the archive option in tools, options, or by right clicking
on the folder, choose properties and change the archive settings.

Actually you have to set BOTH values. The global setting to enable
auto-archiving is like the master circuit breaker in your house that
regulates if electricity gets anywhere inside your home. The local
setting to enable auto-archiving for a folder is like a light switch
in a particular room that says the electricity gets in there. To turn
the light on in your room, you need both the master breaker and the
room switch turned on.

If you only have one of these enabled, auto-archiving will not occur
for that folder. If the global auto-archiving option (Tools -
Options - Advanced) is disabled then no folder will have any
auto-archiving performed on it. If the folder's own [local]
auto-archive function is disabled, auto-archiving might occur for
other folders but not for this one.

For auto-archiving to work on a particular folder, do BOTH of the
following:
- Enable the global auto-archive option.
- Enable the folder's auto-archive option.

As a side note, you should set the global auto-archiving interval to
the shortest auto-archive interval you configure for any folder, or to
a shorter value. If you set the global auto-archive option to run
every 30 days but have a folder's auto-archiving set for 5 days, items
will become *eligible* for archiving after they are 5 days old but
they won't actually get archived until the global archive function got
run after 30 days. That's why I set the global auto-archive interval
to 1 day because that is the shortest interval that can be configured
for any folder. I'm assured that the interval that I expect for a
folder will get obeyed.

Old January 17th 08, 10:00 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH

"Candy" wrote in message
... That prompts another question.
How do you archive archive folders? What does that do?

For auto-archiving to work, the message store must be opened in
Outlook. Outlook cannot archive anything in a file that it doesn't
have open. Just like when you set the local archiving options on a
folder in your local message store, you can do the same for the
folders in the archive message store - but you will need to have that
archive message store loaded in Outlook (File - Open).

In most cases, you would configure auto-archiving to move old items
out of your local (or current) message into your archive message
store. Then to prevent the archive message store from getting too
big, you would configure auto-archiving for the folders in the archive
message store to permanently delete old items but specify an
expiration interval that is equal to or greater than what you used for
archiving items out of your local message store. However, you could
configure archiving in your archive message store to move the old
items into yet another archive message store, and do the same in that
archive message store, and chain as many of these archiving message
stores as you want with the last one doing the permanent delete
action. That way, for example, you could configure your local message
store to move out items that are over 1 year old, configure the first
archive message store to move out items over 1 year old (which would
be another year after when they got moved into that archive), and do
the same for, say, another 4 archive message stores. You set up a
chain of 1 local message store and 4 archive message stores where each
contains a year's worth of items for a total of 5 years worth of saved
items. I don't get enough e-mails at home to qualify having more than
1 archive message store but at work I had this 1 local + 4 archive
message stores setup using auto-archiving to keep their size under the
maximum and also to organize my e-mails. That meant that I needed to
have the 4 archive files opened in Outlook so Outlook could exercise
its archiving function against them, but then I wanted them opened in
Outlook so that I could also search through them to find old items.

Old January 17th 08, 11:32 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Candy

All this is a little beyond me. And, I think you're talking about a
different version. When I go tools, then options, I see NO advanced tab.
Where are you looking? And, how do you enable these archive options? I am
VERY NEW at this. And I've got ADHD. I need Outlook 101 (Outlook for
NEWBIES). Can someone give me concise, easy steps to do these things
mentioned below? Thanks.

Candy
Very New Outlook 207 User

Old January 18th 08, 02:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
Diane Poremsky

Look on Tools, options, other tab.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Outlook Tips:
http://www.outlook-tips.net/

news

Old January 18th 08, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook
VanguardLH

"Candy" wrote in message
news
All this is a little beyond me. And, I think you're talking about a
different version. When I go tools, then options, I see NO advanced
tab.
Where are you looking? And, how do you enable these archive
options? I am
VERY NEW at this. And I've got ADHD. I need Outlook 101 (Outlook
for
NEWBIES). Can someone give me concise, easy steps to do these
things
mentioned below? Thanks.

I am still using OL2002. I see in another of your posts that you are
using OL2007. Navigation may be different between the versions. In
OL2002, Tools - Options - Other tab - AutoArchive is where you find
the global settings. Right-click on a folder shown in the tree list
(folder pane), Properties, AutoArchive tab for the local settings on
that folder.