Add Reminder To Incoming Meeting Requests

Old March 3rd 06, 01:14 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Joseph Rees

Default Add Reminder To Incoming Meeting Requests

I have a person I work with that consistently forgets to check the "reminder"
box when sending out meeting makers. Coincidently, this causes others (myself
included) from attending her meetings on time which frustrates everyone. I am
looking for a way to check for new meetings as they arrive and to add a
reminder to each and every one I receive so that I never miss seeing them.
I've been experimenting with VBA to create a script for a rule, but even the
simplest sample code I find I can't seem to get working. I found one that was
supposed to just bring up a msgbox for new meetings and just echo that you
had a new meeting request and what the subject was. I added it into
ThisOutlookSession and created a new rule and chose that item for the script
and it does nothing. Can someone please help me get this setup? I have no
need/intent to learn VBA for Outlook completely. I just want to get this one
thing accomplished.

Here is the current code I have in my outlook rule:

Sub AddReminder(MyMeeting As MeetingItem)
Dim strID As String
Dim olNS As Outlook.NameSpace
Dim olMeeting As Outlook.MeetingItem
strID = MyMeeting.EntryID
Set olNS = Application.GetNamespace("MAPI")
Set olMeeting = olNS.GetItemFromID(strID)
olMeeting.ReminderOverrideDefault = True
olMeeting.ReminderMinutesBeforeStart = 15
olMeeting.ReminderSet = True
olMeeting.Save
Set olMeeting = Nothing
Set olNS = Nothing
End Sub

If someone can help me out, I'd REALLY appreciate it.

THANKS!!
Old March 3rd 06, 06:29 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Michael Bauer

Am Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:14:27 -0800 schrieb Joseph Rees:

You do have the script for a rule. Do you have the rule created, too?

If so, what are the security settings, is VBA allowed to run at all?

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

Old March 3rd 06, 03:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Joseph Rees

Yes, I created a rule called "Test" that says the following:

"Apply this rule after the message arrives
which is a meeting invitation or update
run Project1.ThisOutlookSession.AddReminder"

I set my macro security level to low because I am in a secure environment
and only for testing until I get it working. I believe that enables VBA stuff
to run correct?

Old March 6th 06, 08:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Michael Bauer

Am Fri, 3 Mar 2006 07:49:27 -0800 schrieb Joseph Rees:

If you copy this lines into ThisOutlookSession:

Public Sub HelloWorld()
MsgBox "Hello World"
End Sub

set the cursor into the sub and press F5, do you see the messagebox?

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook

Old March 7th 06, 05:49 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Michael Bauer

Am Mon, 6 Mar 2006 07:52:30 -0800 schrieb Joseph Rees:

I canīt see any error in the AddReminder procedure. However, just for being
su What happens if you comment out all lines in that procedure and copy a
MsgBox "Hello World" in it? (Donīt forget to close and re-open Outlook.)

The AddReminder is placed in ThisOutlookSession, right?

If that MsgBox doesnīt appear then my next guess is: Thereīs a rule handling
the MeetingItem first, which ends with a "Donīt execute another rule" (or
something similar).

--
Viele Gruesse / Best regards
Michael Bauer - MVP Outlook