Redemption and hiding user in exchange from address lists

Old August 2nd 06, 12:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
[email protected]

Default Redemption and hiding user in exchange from address lists

Morning,

I am using redemption and vb.net to get new mail in a certain mailbox
and save the attachments down to use. This all works successfully until
i want to hide this specific user from all lists in exchange as i do
not want people directly emailing this user.

Does anyone know whether you have to have this unticked in exchange or
is there a way around this problem??

Thanks

Old August 2nd 06, 02:41 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Hide the user from what, the GAL? That has to be done by an admin in ADUC or
by ADSI or some other coding that hits ADUC on the server.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old August 2nd 06, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
[email protected]

Hi there,

Yes I mean from the GAL. I ticked the box manually on the server and
when i went to run the program again the program would not recogonise
the mailbox to log into to. As soon as i took the tick out the "hide
from exchange lists" it worked.

Old August 3rd 06, 02:12 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

So your problem is solved now? I couldn't tell from your reply.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old August 3rd 06, 02:19 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Aniallator

Sorry must have not been very clear then. No my problem is not fixed,
well its more of a question really. Can you have a mailbox hidden from
the GAL and still log into that mailbox using outlook redemption.

Old August 4th 06, 02:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Ken Slovak - [MVP - Outlook]

Yes, if you have the logon information you need and have permissions to log
into that mailbox. It doesn't need to be exposed to the GAL for that.

--
Ken Slovak
[MVP - Outlook]

Old August 6th 06, 12:34 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Dmitry Streblechenko

Strictly speaking, if you know all the information about that mailbox (name,
entry id, e-mail, etc), you can construct the required profile manually.
Redemption however takes the mailbox name as an argument to
LogonExchangeMailbox, which it resolves against GAL. Since your mailbox is
hidden from GAL, Redemption cannot resolve the name...

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool

Old August 7th 06, 10:57 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Aniallator

Thanks for the advice. Could you possibly give me an example of how to
construct the profile manually?? would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old August 7th 06, 06:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.program_vba
Dmitry Streblechenko

You would need to populate all the properties set by the EX provider - look
at the profile data with ProfMan (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=228736)
or OutlookSpy. Most of these properties are not documented of course.

Dmitry Streblechenko (MVP)
http://www.dimastr.com/
OutlookSpy - Outlook, CDO
and MAPI Developer Tool