contact list items do not show in address book Office 2007

Old October 13th 09, 09:48 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
william

Default contact list items do not show in address book Office 2007

my address book is empty and the contact folder dialog box that would allow
me to associate my contacts with the address book is not accessable. I just
started using office 2007. I moved my files from my old computer using the
proceedure described by microsoft.
--
wvw
Old October 13th 09, 11:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine

Are we to assume that you are using a local data file (i.e., PST file) and
not Exchange? If so, Microsoft has has never documented accurately the
correct migration of a local data file from one Outlook installation to
another. Tell us precisely what you did so we can tell you how to recover
from the error you made, even if you followed Microsoft's instructions.
--
Russ Valentine

Old October 15th 09, 02:51 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
you click on the To button, check these settings:

Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
the box to enable as email address book is checked?

If this is grayed out...

Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
it and close and restart Outlook. If it is listed, then remove it and close
then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.

If you are using Outlook 2007 and the the checkbox is grayed, you'll need to
make a new profile as you can't add the Outlook Address Book service due to
a bug.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

Do you keep Outlook open 24/7? Vote in our poll:

Old October 15th 09, 04:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
william

--
Yes it is a pst. This is my home system. I purchased a new computer with
Office 2007 and used the microsoft vista program for moving my data from the

Old October 15th 09, 04:27 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Gordon[_6_]

"William" wrote in message

Yes it is a pst. This is my home system. I purchased a new computer with
Office 2007 and used the microsoft vista program for moving my data from
the
old to the new computer.

Presumably by that you mean Windows Easy transfer?

Everything went fine. Outlook moved all my contacts,
but my address file is empty and the system shows me a gray box that
cannot
be accessed when I select the contact folder and call up properties to
establish a direct the address list to use my contacts.

That's because WET doesn't work for Outlook. If you'd read any of the posts
about this you would have found that out.
What WET does do is to corrupt your Mail profile.

Go to Control Panel-Mail-Show Profiles-Add, create a new profile and in the
Profile Properties dialog, attach the existing pst file.
See if that helps.

Old October 15th 09, 04:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine

You cannot use Windows Easy Transfer with Outlook. It creates a corrupt
profile that has the address book service permanently disabled. You'll have
to create a new Outlook profile from scratch and migrate data correctly:
Open your backed up PST file in the new profile and set it as your default
data file.
--
Russ Valentine