User-defined fields in this item vs. folder

Old August 20th 09, 11:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
tjsmags

Default User-defined fields in this item vs. folder

When in a contact, I added some additional fields under the All Fields tab.
I've added fields under User-defined fields in this item and also under
User-defined fields in folder (not knowing which one I should always use).

Our school got a new server. All the contacts are there, but all the fields
I added under the 'folder' option are gone (along with the data I'm
assuming?). I still see the fields I added under 'item,' though. Is there a
way to retrieve the lost data, or is it lost? And, what is the difference
between adding a field under 'item' vs. 'folder?' Which one should I always
use?

I create a contact for each student in our school. That is what I'm using
this for. I added fields such as Mother/Guardian, Father/Guardian,
Allergies, Medications, Referred By, Exit Date, Graduating Class of, etc.
Now I only see the Mother and Father fields, which were under 'item.' All
the rest are gone...yikes! Help!
--
Thank you.

Old August 21st 09, 08:11 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

When adding a user-defined field to an item in Outlook - it automatically
gets added to the folder list but only actually gets added to an
individual item when data is entered for a given field (going under the
assumption that you are referring to a scenario where no custom form is in
use and referencing user-defined fields for a standard contact item
(MessageClass = IPM.Contact)

You can also delete a user-defined field name from the Folder List but any
data added to that field for a given contact remains with the item. It
doesn't get deleted. However, once a field is deleted from the Folder
List - you can't see any data for it in a view regardless of what the
individual contacts contain. To correct that, you simply need to re-add the
field to the Folder's list again making sure to use the exact same name
and field type otherwise you're going to end up with a mis-match between
the field type defined in the Folder List versus the field actually
associated with an individual contact.

Karl

Karl Timmermans - The Claxton Group
ContactGenie - Importer 1.3 / DataPorter 2.0 / Exporter
"Power contact importers/exporters for MS Outlook '2000/2007"
http://www.contactgenie.com

Old August 21st 09, 07:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
tjsmags

How come I still don't see the new categories I added back when I choose
'folder?' You are right, the data does appear back, but when I add a new
student/contact, none of the categories I added show up when I click on the
ALL FIELDS tab and select from the 'folder.' I want the categories to show
here like they used to.
--
Thank you.

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:

When adding a user-defined field to an item in Outlook - it automatically
gets added to the folder list but only actually gets added to an
individual item when data is entered for a given field (going under the
assumption that you are referring to a scenario where no custom form is in
use and referencing user-defined fields for a standard contact item
(MessageClass = IPM.Contact)

You can also delete a user-defined field name from the Folder List but any
data added to that field for a given contact remains with the item. It
doesn't get deleted. However, once a field is deleted from the Folder
List - you can't see any data for it in a view regardless of what the

Old August 22nd 09, 05:25 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

Categories and user-defined fields are two completely separate and unrelated
topics/issues.

Don't understand what you mean by "categories I added........when
click....ALL Fields .....select from folder". Hopefully someone else has a
better idea of what you're referring to but sounds like your Master
Categories list has disappeared (nothing to do with the All Fields tab. In
any event - would suggest you provide some additional details - not the
least of which is Outlook version (before and after if there was a change)
and exactly was all changed in terms of "a new server".

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:

When adding a user-defined field to an item in Outlook - it automatically
gets added to the folder list but only actually gets added to an
individual item when data is entered for a given field (going under the
assumption that you are referring to a scenario where no custom form is
in
use and referencing user-defined fields for a standard contact item
(MessageClass = IPM.Contact)

You can also delete a user-defined field name from the Folder List but
any
data added to that field for a given contact remains with the item. It
doesn't get deleted. However, once a field is deleted from the Folder
List - you can't see any data for it in a view regardless of what the

Old August 25th 09, 07:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
tjsmags

Go through the process of adding a new Contact. You'll see there is a tab
called ALL FIELDS. Right underneath there is a SELECT FROM field that has a
drop down. This is where the fields I created myself were in USER-DEFINED
FIELDS IN THIS ITEM and also in USER-DEFINED FILEDS IN FOLDER.

Now do you see what I mean? What is the difference between above two listed
drop down options?
--
Thank you.

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:

When adding a user-defined field to an item in Outlook - it automatically
gets added to the folder list but only actually gets added to an
individual item when data is entered for a given field (going under the
assumption that you are referring to a scenario where no custom form is
in
use and referencing user-defined fields for a standard contact item
(MessageClass = IPM.Contact)

You can also delete a user-defined field name from the Folder List but
any
data added to that field for a given contact remains with the item. It
doesn't get deleted. However, once a field is deleted from the Folder
List - you can't see any data for it in a view regardless of what the

Old August 25th 09, 08:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Karl Timmermans

Please refer to my original response regarding to the "user-defined
fields" - answers to your original question are specifically addressed there
so not sure what exactly you're asking about (sentence one of the response
indicates when a field gets added to the Folder and Items list). Your second
post/question asked about "Categories" and "User-defined fields" which are
not the same thing. "Categories" is a standard Outlook field.

To restateand summarize the original answer another way:

#1 - Via the Outlook UI - you cannot add a user-defined field to an Item
without it also being added to the Folders List
#2 - Adding a user-defined field via the Items group but NOT adding any
data to the field does not add the field to the Item but will add it to
the Folders group
#3 - You can add a user-defined field via the Folder but if no data is
added - nothing gets added to the item (same as item #2)
#4 - You can delete a user-defined field from the Folders group but it
does not delete the field from any contact that may already have data in
that field (what I refer to as orphan user-defined fields since there is
no way to know of their existance without interrogating the User-Properties
collection of every contact within the folder or in Outlook UI parlance -
open every contact individually and see what user-defined fields exist for
that item)

And just to be clear - the above refers specifically to contacts that do not
have (were not created with) a custom form assigned - (current/standard

"Karl Timmermans" wrote:

When adding a user-defined field to an item in Outlook - it
automatically
gets added to the folder list but only actually gets added to an
individual item when data is entered for a given field (going under
the
assumption that you are referring to a scenario where no custom form
is
in
use and referencing user-defined fields for a standard contact item
(MessageClass = IPM.Contact)

You can also delete a user-defined field name from the Folder List
but
any
data added to that field for a given contact remains with the item. It
doesn't get deleted. However, once a field is deleted from the Folder
List - you can't see any data for it in a view regardless of what the