Copying Outlook Contacts

Old September 27th 08, 09:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rob

Default Copying Outlook Contacts

I've followed previous discussion solutions and created a (97-2002) file in
my Outlook 2007. I've copied my contacts into this file. I've then exported
the file onto a flash drive and attempted to import it into Outlook 2002 on
my laptop. I get a message that the file (which shows with the ending .pst
is not compatible with the version of the Personal Folders information
service.
Old September 27th 08, 10:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

Of course. This is one of the countless reasons you never use export and
import to transfer Outlook data. You can't control the format of the file
when you do.
You had already created a compatible data file. Just copy that file and open
it in the other installation. Never touch export and import again when you
want to transfer Outlook data.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Old September 27th 08, 10:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Why did you copy them to the 97-2002 pst then export it? Just close it
(right click on the pst, choose close) wait a few min for outlook to release
it then copy the pst to the flash drive.

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old September 28th 08, 01:10 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Rob

Thanks Russ, this did get my contacts into Outlook 2002. Just one little
bothersome thing. The file i copied in is listed as Contacts1 and Contacts
is still there with nothing in it. Is there a way to get the information
into the Contacts file and then delete the Contacts1 file. Outlook will not
let me delete Contacts.

Old September 29th 08, 01:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"Rob" wrote in message

Thanks Russ, this did get my contacts into Outlook 2002. Just one little
bothersome thing. The file i copied in is listed as Contacts1 and
Contacts
is still there with nothing in it. Is there a way to get the information
into the Contacts file and then delete the Contacts1 file. Outlook will
not
let me delete Contacts.

You shouldn't try to copy the entire folder when the folder is one of the
defaults. Instead, open the source folder and copy its contents to its
corresponding default folder in the delivery location PST.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]