outlook distribution list won't send to contact

Old August 15th 08, 02:06 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
bdink1223

Default outlook distribution list won't send to contact

I set up my distribution list in Outlook 2003 and it does show up in my
contacts. I can right-click and then click on the New Message to Contact.
However, when the new message window comes up, the name of the distribution
list is plain text - there is no plus sign and it is not bold. Any ideas?
Old August 15th 08, 04:07 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

Have you opened the DL and verified it has valid addresses?

--
Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]

Outlook Tips by email:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx or point your
newsreader to msnews.microsoft.com.

Old August 15th 08, 09:01 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
bdink1223

Yes, I even did a test one with just two email addresses (mine and my son's)
and get the same results. I think if I can get Contacts to show up in my
"show names from" in the address books, it might work? But I can't get that
either.

Old August 15th 08, 09:21 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

it doesn't matter how the addresses are entered - if the dl is valid it will
resolve.

How did you create this DL? You may need to delete it and start over. You
can save the addresses out (File,Save as) to a text file and copy and paste
them into the new one if need be.

Old August 15th 08, 09:50 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
bdink1223

I have re-created the original, and I have created the new one with just the
two email addresses. Both still just put plain text in the To box on the new
email message.

Old August 21st 08, 03:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]

"bdink1223" wrote in message

Yes, I even did a test one with just two email addresses (mine and my
son's)
and get the same results. I think if I can get Contacts to show up in my
"show names from" in the address books, it might work? But I can't get
that
either.

If the "Show names from the" drop-down doesn't include your Contacts folder
and it is in your Contacts folder that the DL exists, right-click your
Contacts folder, choose Properties, select the Outlook Address Book tab, and
check the box labeled "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book". Click
OK.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

Old September 4th 08, 07:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
mara

I've tried to check the box that labeled "Show this folder as an e-mail
Address Book" but it won't allow me to. Any other suggestions?

Old September 4th 08, 08:56 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
Diane Poremsky [MVP]

does this apply?

If you have Contacts in the Contacts folder but they are not accessible when
you click on the To button, check these settings:

Make sure the Contact folder is enabled as an email address book. Right
click the Contacts folder, choose Properties then Outlook Address Book. Is
the box to enable as email address book is checked?

If this is grayed out...

Go to Tools | Email Accounts, choose View or change existing directories or
address book. Is the Outlook Address Book present? If it isn't listed, add
it and close and restart Outlook. If it is listed, then remove it and close
then restart Outlook and repeat these steps to add it.

If you are using Outlook 2007 and the the checkbox is grayed, you'll need to
make a new profile as you can't add the Outlook Address Book service due to
a bug.

Old October 8th 08, 10:05 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.contacts
JS

Thanks Diane. I appreciate your help! This worked like a charm.